Planted tank need more surface movement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishinstaller26

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 72 gallon planted tank filtered by a fluval 406
I looking to get more surface movement with the water since the output only creates good movement on one side of the tank. Is it ok to place a small air stone on the opposite side to create more surface movement or are there other options to look into IMG_1772.jpg

I would use a few mini powerheads, and/or a 2nd filtration device with output flow nozzles you can point to where you want them.

reason I suggest powerheads is the ability to adjust the flow direction to fulfill your tank needs. Good flow to all corners of your tank is extremely important in a planted tank.

If your doing CO2 injection airstones are a big no no because they de-gas the water column of CO2.

If you are not doing CO2 injection then airstones can be ok, you just don't have much customization on how the water flows which IMO makes a powerhead superior for your needs and future considerations

Last edited:
I use 2 canisters on my 60g. I have a spray bar at each end, one faces towards the substrate mid tank and the other basically points to the surface. Gives me a nice ripple across the top [emoji106]

Thanks guys I ordered 2 hydor pico evo 180s for the tank
I also moved my filter output which the the movement better

Back
Top Bottom