Plants and algae info please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyBusiness

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm about to make an order for jungle val, Anubias (forgive spelling?), dwarf sag and maybe some java but not sure yet. So I've had my tank for 4 years (almost) and have NEVER had any algae problems. For starting I'd like to use just root tabs (I also have PFS substrate and low/moderate? Lighting) so anyway...

So my question is, if I get live plants will that CAUSE algae at all or just the same as I have now but just look better and better water quality, which I don't have problems with either...

And also can I add a bunch at a time or just a few...?

Thanks! (Sorry for the long post!)

Introducing Plants

So I'm about to make an order for jungle val, Anubias (forgive spelling?), dwarf sag and maybe some java but not sure yet. So I've had my tank for 4 years (almost) and have NEVER had any algae problems. For starting I'd like to use just root tabs (I also have PFS substrate and low/moderate? Lighting) so anyway...

So my question is, if I get live plants will that CAUSE algae at all or just the same as I have now but just look better and better water quality, which I don't have problems with either...

And also can I add a bunch at a time or just a few...?

Thanks! (Sorry for the long post!)

Hello Fish...

Root tabs are fine for the plants that need their roots under the bottom material. A liquid like Seachem's Comprehensive is good for the plants that either float or are in some way attached to lava rock or driftwood.

I would wait until you perform a water change to mess with the substrate. When the water level is low, it makes planting much easier.

I've found with my tanks that if I keep the phosphates from the flaked food to a minimum, change a lot of tank water and change it often to remove nitrates, then algae growth is slow at best. If you float a lot of Anacharis, a plant that uses nutrients like nitrate just as soon as it's available, you'll have almost no algae. Hornwort and Pennywort are a couple of other good floaters. The more floating plants, the less algae you have in the tank. I don't believe you can have too many.

Just my observations over the last few years.

B

i agree with the above, its all about nutrient balance with light ect.

you can put as many plants as you want in at once no worries.

you may notice you plants start to look bad before they hopefully turn around and grow well. its normal shock from transplanting. I find this doesn't happen much at all once you have plants in your tank and transplant new growths or existing plants if not taking out of the water.

Ok thank you! I have led lights and I keep them on about 12 hours a day. 90 gallons and I always do 50% WC weekly with 2 aquaclear 110's. If I get floating plants would the filters current push them around or would they just kinda stay in a corner?

Ok thank you! I have led lights and I keep them on about 12 hours a day. 90 gallons and I always do 50% WC weekly with 2 aquaclear 110's. If I get floating plants would the filters current push them around or would they just kinda stay in a corner?

If algae does become a problem, you could always cut back on the light duration.
You could make a plant "corral" using a loop of light test fishing line. Tape the ends to the tank frame.

Plants are always a great addition as long as you have fish that won't eat or destroy them. As stated above, you just have to find the right balance of nutrients and watch things such as the phosphates and nitrates as high levels of either can contribute to algae growth. I had a little issue with phosphates and a product I was using so I learned all about phosphates. Not that they're a bad thing as they are needed, just in certain amounts and it is the kind of thing that should be added independently as it is needed. I have plants in every tank I have and wouldn't want it any other way. Also as stated above, you could cut back on the amount of time the light is on by and hour or two if algae is a problem

Sounds good. I've never had algae problems in 4 years, and don't want any. Didn't know if plants and root tabs or fertilizers would cause any or not.

None of that should cause any algae unless there are nutrient levels that get out of whack. As long as you keep up with the tank maintenance, the plants should out-compete the algae for nutrients and keep them at bay.

Back
Top Bottom