plants for a 29g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frenchpea2002

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so I just got my second 29g aquarium, and I want this one to be planted. My other is a goldfish one, hence no plants... :lol: So, for someone who knows nothing about plants, what would you suggest? I just set it up today, with play sand as the substrate (I read several posts about it, and people seemed to like it). The lighting is a fluorescent light, the one that came with the package, I honestly have no clue what the wattage is. I plan on putting a school of 9 danios and a school of maybe 6 cories or yoyo loaches, and maybe a centerpiece fish like a gourami. The temp is 78 and it has a penguin 170 HOB.

its probally a 20 watt.

personally id put loaches, but its all up to you. you have alot of plants to choose from. im upgrading my lighting on my 29 gallon so i can have a wider sleection of plants. but theres alot of low light plants too

does upgrading my light mean just buying a new, higher wattage bulb, or will it need a whole new setup? If it needs the new setup, are there some lower light plants that would be good?

usually it means buying a new setup. green will probally tell ya about the overdriving of the light shortly :)

You can purchase extra bulb/fixture combos of various lengths, probably spending $20-30 in an lfs. I did this for my 20gal tall, increasing lights from 20 watts NO to 40 watts NO, which was a good investment I thought. Then it's just a matter of fitting it over your tank :p

40 watts of NO is still low light in a 29 gallon and it doesnt really have any punch so your lower plants are not going to get much light with traditional NO. If you do a serch on ODNO there should be plenty of posts.. by me at least! LOL.. :mrgreen: FMJax has done a great job with his rig.. Im guessing he is still working on it.. I should be working on a ODNO strip most likely for my ATS project sometime soon.. depending on when I get myself in gear! LOL :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom