Plants for bettas & tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshie In Disguise

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm cycling a 20g long tank which currently only contains polished gravel and a few polished rocks (and Squidward's house). At some point, I plan to add some combination of tetras/bettas. Still unsure as to what variety of tetra. I would really like a heavily planted tank at some point in the future, but for the time being, what sort of plants would you recommend for my tank once it's ready? What else do I need to buy to keep them healthy? Root tabs? Iron? Additional substrate?

I love microswords and things that look mossy and soft. I also wouldn't mind something with a lilypad on it for my betta(s) to hide under. :) All suggestions appreciated!

Well if you have a betta, stick with low light plants. Since you don't want a high wattage/ gallon with bettas.

Some contraption my fiance rigged together... The bulb is an actual aquarium bulb, but the rest of it was his own creation. It's some sort of flourescent light... Wish I knew more about it. I bought the bulb at Walmart's pet section. Am I going to need to change lights?

we can tell you what kind of plants you can get when we'll know what kind of lighting you have. plants thrive on the color temperature (k) of the lighting. normal incandescent bulbs will not be beneficial for plants. and also, there are levels of lighting: low light, low-medium light, medium light, medium-high light, and high light. High light more than likely needs CO2 dosing. Low light plants will thrive without dosing CO2. Root tabs will be needed if you have amazon swords and crypts coz they are heavy root feeders, they don't benefit on liquid ferts. if you have plants, you need at least 2-3 inches of subtrate for the whole tank so the roots can have room to grow. it doesn't matter what substrate you'll use, some plants will still grow on them. Although the substrate that is sold with the beneficial ferts is really advantageous. But sand and gravels will work as long as you'll put the root tabs for the swords and crypts.

I'm cycling a 20g long tank... I plan to add some combination of tetras/bettas.

You may have a problem with your planned stocking.

Most male bettas cannot be kept with other species. They are known as a solitary species and you cannot even have two male bettas in the same tank without a divider. Perhaps you could think more towards something like a dwarf gourami with the tetras.

Most people who have attempted multiple female bettas in a community tank have not been happy with the results. It works for very few people. I had a healthy female betta sorority but still would not recommend it for anyone but the most experienced fishkeeper who has a solid backup plan.

Well, you will need to look on the bulb and see what the wattage is and the Kelvin rating. It is normally towards the base of the bulb. Example:

"Brand 10W 6500K etc."

Depending on the wattage and kelvins determines what you can grow.

i think the one you got in the pet section, i can almost guarantee is the incandescent light. you can get the daylight compact flourescent light from GE that has the 6700k in walmart as well but you can go get that in the hardware department. Color temperature from 6500-10000K is a good choice when you have plants.

+1 with LyndaB about male bettas can't be together in a tank. They will kill each other until one will be left standing. female bettas are known to be good together but it really depends on the personalities of the females. they could still hurt each other because bettas are very known for being territorial. Gouramis are another kind of a labyrinth fish like bettas, but they are more good in a community tank. I have a dwarf gourami with cardinal tetras before and they all went along with each other.

I agree that male bettas are more often than not too aggressive for other tankmates.

About the bulb, likely incandescent, however I saw a 6500K 10W CFL bulb in Wally World's Fish section the other day, so it maybe a CFL.

Lol I've had bettas my whole life and would never put two males together. However, I've only had two males which were vicious towards other species, and none of my females have been vicious towards other species or eachother. Fortunately, if they do become aggressive, I am more than capable of removing them. ;)

My gravel is pretty darn thick. I actually bought more than I thought I did and ended up adding all of it anyway. But it is polished gravel with nothing else. The root tabs I understand, but all of the lighting stuff is confusing me considerably. Would anyone be willing to pick out a few different plants that my tetras / betta(s) will enjoy and then give me the names of a couple VERY specific compatible lights which will fit my 20g long? :oops:

Well, what kind of bulbs does the fixture accept? If it takes CFL, then get some CFL's that are within the rating for your fixtures power and that meet the aforementioned specs. Same goes for if it is a flourescent tube fixture.

You can decide what kind of plants you want, we can't nescesarilly decide for you. Some good starter plants that grow nicely without a lot of specific care are: Hornwort, Java Moss, Anacharis, Java Fern, and Crypts just to name a few.

So which plants would my fish enjoy the most? I am completely infamiliar with aquatic plants, which is why I posted this thread in the first place... I wanted to know which plants my fish would enjoy.

Basically fish enjoy any plants. There isn't really a hand book that says "Bettas should be kept with this plant, that plant, and another plant". It is generally up to the aquariust...you!

fish mostly likes most plants. but you really need to know what lighting you have so we can tell you what kind of plants is appropriate for your lighting. if we don't know your lighting level, we cannot tell you to get a high light plants or even medium. you can be safe and get the low light plants if you want to start with the low maintenance plants. you can get java ferns, java moss, most crypts, anubias, and swords.

My male Betta pays no attention to his tankmates. I worry more about them harassing him. But so far so good. I chose non-Betta looking, peaceful fish. They all just ignore each other.

i know lighting is a very complicated area but once you have it settled, everything else will just follow smoothly. i didn't understand any of it at first as well, but the link below helps me a lot.

you can look in the information about lighting in the link below:

A beginner's guide to lighting

it will tell you what is your best choice...

I was planning on just using a different light altogether, basing the light on the plants and the plants on the fish. I don't even have a fixture or a hood, just a tank and a lightbulb.

Daileene, that link was incredibly helpful! :) Thank you!

you are very welcome....that's what we are here for. :)

that link helps me a lot too when i started planted tanks.

Back
Top Bottom