Plants in an aquarium that has aquarium salt in it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sillycichlid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:thanks::fish1:The other day, I was given some plants. One kind is a melon plant, the other, narrow leaf fern, I think. Anyway they are huge and some are on rocks. My little planted tanks can't handle the size, so I was thinking about putting them in my 55. only thing is I put aquarium salt in there every once in awhile. Will they be ok in there? or will the salt damage the plants.

Thanks, I guess I'll give it a try. I've got them stuffed in a 10 gallon right now, so they wouldn't get dried out. They are kind of sticking out the top. It's got to be better than that!

I was always told and confirmed through research that aquarium salt and plants are a no no. Unless you're treating some type of fish ailment, I don't see any reason to use it. Most aquatic plants won't tolerate much of it.

Aquatic Plants and Salt

:thanks::fish1:The other day, I was given some plants. One kind is a melon plant, the other, narrow leaf fern, I think. Anyway they are huge and some are on rocks. My little planted tanks can't handle the size, so I was thinking about putting them in my 55. only thing is I put aquarium salt in there every once in awhile. Will they be ok in there? or will the salt damage the plants.

Hello sill...

I dose a little standard aquarium salt in my 55 gallon Livebearer tanks and my plants do fine. Most aquatic plants will tolerate a little. I dose a teaspoon in every 5 gallons of my replacement water every week when I do my water changes.

If you keep brackish water fish like livebearing Mollies, you can add up to a tablespoon (3 teaspoons) in every 5 gallons, in a planted tank, but I wouldn't recommend more than this.

B

Back
Top Bottom