Plants near filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela1108

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys! We are switching our non planted tank over to a planted tank. Basically we are replacing the plants one at a time as we have extra money.

It is a 55 gallon tank and we are keeping it low tech - so low light no added co2 and just some plant tabs.

We started with the middle of the tank and most of those are swapped out. Friday I am getting some more from a friend who is getting rid of a tank which I plan on putting on the end away from the filter.

What type of plants do you guys suggest for nearer to the filter? We have cork screw Val's that are near the middle and I think those are as close to the filter as they can go. The filter is pretty powerful and pushes them over. I guess I would be looking for a thicker type of plant. What would you guys suggest?

In my small tank we have an amazon sword that is kinda close to the filter and it does ok but that filter doesn't even come close to the power of this tanks ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404871377.710684.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Anubis are pretty sturdy and they come in different sizes. You'll need to attach it to something like a rock or piece of drift wood at first. There are various ways of doing this... cotton thread, fishing line, rubber band(s), etc. I've even heard you can use Super Glue, though Ive never tried it myself.
Once its been there a while the roots will sort of grow in and around the rock/wood and it will be able to hold on by itself.

I would also do anubias attached to some dw or rocks. Bacopa is also pretty sturdy. Some hygrophilas are sturdy.

Sent with my fingers

From the pic it looks like you can raise the water level an inch or so. That may help reduce splash, bubbles, noise, and possibly the direction of the flow. I could not find a pic of this but on my AquaClear filters I added a lip extension that redirects the flow along the surface rather than downward into the tank (and into the plants). It's DIY from the plastic strip that is packaged with the all glass tops. There is a groove that is used to attach to the rear glass top. I use that groove to attach it to the HOB output lip.

Edit: I found the link:
I have a mod that was created for the same reason...noise reduction. See post #3 in the following thread:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236365

Cool. Yeah we had been keeping it a tad lower. I had a couple fish fight and so we were adding Pima and melafix so we had lowered it so that maybe more oxygen would stay.

Definitely will add some more water and I will look into the thing to make it spread out more :)

Thanks! Adding water is such a simple thing. Not sure why we hadn't thought of that. Hahaha totally a DUH! Moment

Yeah I always keep water level above the bottom edge of the black aquarium frame to keep splash noise to a minimum on my aquaclears.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So we've gotten pretty much the whole middle planted. it looks so empty since they are way shorter than the fake ones were! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405036262.470747.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405036281.442871.jpg

Back
Top Bottom