plants to avoid with Excel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish 'n' fries

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I'm setting up a nano-ish tank...planning med-high light but it feel it's too small to do CO2 with so am planning on using Excel. I know I've seen to avoid anacharis and vals. Any other plants to avoid? Thanks.

I've heard Excel has a negative effect on Riccia. While trying to get rid of algae I had a small portion of Riccia die off that was near the treated area.

None that I know of as well. Only anacharis and vals. But for vals, my corkscrew vals I had did well with Excel, but the jungle vals melted almost instantly. But for a small tank, you could use corkscrew vals as a background plant. Just another option to add to your list of possibilities.

Also, if you do get corkscrews, add the corkscrew plants after you've done the initial dosing and a couple regular doses. Just in case the high initial dose may cause problems. I've never done a high dose with the corkscrews, but regular doses never affected them at all. I just got rid of them because I got so much algae, they were in bad shape.

My riccia initially began to 'melt' when I began dosing with Excel, but then exploded with growth once it became acclimated to it. Prior to Excel, I only had marginal growth.

I have had some crypts melt when using Excel. If you're planning medium-high light, you probably aren't going to have crypts.

One crypt that does do well under higher light is C. parva, and mine have never melted, not even when they've been moved around.

What is it about Excel that is bad for those plants? I have never heard of it being bad, so I am glad that I don't have these plants and haven't dosed them with Excel.

Back
Top Bottom