Plants would be good.......??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2me

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would really like to ditch the fake plants and wood deco and opt for the real thing......I have little to no clue how to begin?!
I have a 60L, lighting is the tube that came with the hood and substrate is just medium/small natural gravel, PH 7.6, temp is 25 and have cory's and rummynose tetra at the moment...
Is there anything I could plant straight into that substrate that would not require any additional lighting, ferts etc.
Looking for really low tech as you can see, hope you can help tho, thanks for reading!

I would really like to ditch the fake plants and wood deco and opt for the real thing......I have little to no clue how to begin?!
I have a 60L, lighting is the tube that came with the hood and substrate is just medium/small natural gravel, PH 7.6, temp is 25 and have cory's and rummynose tetra at the moment...
Is there anything I could plant straight into that substrate that would not require any additional lighting, ferts etc.
Looking for really low tech as you can see, hope you can help tho, thanks for reading!

I think your going to need some type of ferts even with lowlight plants, whether it be root tabs or liquid ferts. Could be wrong but pretty sure you will. Hopefully Rivercats can chime in sometime, anything she recommends about plants, take her advice! She really knows what shes talking about!

I think your going to need some type of ferts even with lowlight plants, whether it be root tabs or liquid ferts. Could be wrong but pretty sure you will. Hopefully Rivercats can chime in sometime, anything she recommends about plants, take her advice! She really knows what shes talking about!

Thank u, ok, will see if there is any more info....I may just be hoping for too much but just wanted plants that wouldn't need any root tabs of ferts?? Do they exist?? Lol Lazyfishgirl.com :)

Thank u, ok, will see if there is any more info....I may just be hoping for too much but just wanted plants that wouldn't need any root tabs of ferts?? Do they exist?? Lol Lazyfishgirl.com :)

Just venturing into live plants myself so like I said I could be totally wrong. I can tell you if you get any type of crypt or sword you will need root tabs because they are heavy root feeders. It's swords I believe that need a good bit of iron.

Im guessing since u have the stock light its prob a t8 bulb, so low light plants would be good.
Flourish excel is a liquid fert, and it def wouldnt hurt.
Root tabs would help the root feeders.
Easy low light plants are java ferns, crypts, most mosses( i had java moss, and it grew great in low light), anubia or however u spell it is also a good low light plant.

What she said.

After all, you wouldn't put fish in a tank and not feed them.

What she said.

After all, you wouldn't put fish in a tank and not feed them.

That's true but I thought there might be some that might be sustained by light and nutrients in the water...and read something about using up the nitrate? Like many of my house plants...light and water. Thanks tho, all info appreciated.

That's true but I thought there might be some that might be sustained by light and nutrients in the water...and read something about using up the nitrate? Like many of my house plants...light and water. Thanks tho, all info appreciated.

If you're looking for nitrate busters, then most of the low light stem plants are good - anacharis, hygrophila, pennywort. A lot of people use those, (two bunches per 5 gallons) to try a silent cycle when they first start up a new planted tank. I am partial to that method myself. Later, after the tanks has been established, you remove the bunched plants (they go to my gold fish tank where Gypsy and Blondie chew them to pieces), and plant "permanent" plants. You can also leave a few of the stems of the bunched plants floating, as a lot of fish love them for cover.

How well plants would be supported in your existing tank depends on how long you've been running it. If you want rooted plants like crypts (planted straight into your gravel) even those are going to need some roots tabs. Even the easy ones. That means the difference between staring at a 3 or 4" crypt for months, or seeing new growth.

I've been following this thread. My question is, I have a 55 gal freshwater tank and I want to know how I'm suppose to reach the bottom to put the plants in?? My arms aren't that long. LOL!!

Im guessing since u have the stock light its prob a t8 bulb, so low light plants would be good.
Flourish excel is a liquid fert, and it def wouldnt hurt.
Root tabs would help the root feeders.
Easy low light plants are java ferns, crypts, most mosses( i had java moss, and it grew great in low light), anubia or however u spell it is also a good low light plant.

Flourish Excel is liquid Carbon. If you need ferts, you should use Flourish Comprehensive.

LOL! My son suggested the kitchen tongs! He's 6'2" but he won't put his arm in the tank!! LOL!! I'm thinking of two sets of tongs so I can use them as arm extensions!! ha!
:ROFLMAO:

I've been following this thread. My question is, I have a 55 gal freshwater tank and I want to know how I'm suppose to reach the bottom to put the plants in?? My arms aren't that long. LOL!!

Stand on your trusty kitchen chair.

If you're looking for nitrate busters, then most of the low light stem plants are good - anacharis, hygrophila, pennywort. A lot of people use those, (two bunches per 5 gallons) to try a silent cycle when they first start up a new planted tank. I am partial to that method myself. Later, after the tanks has been established, you remove the bunched plants (they go to my gold fish tank where Gypsy and Blondie chew them to pieces), and plant "permanent" plants. You can also leave a few of the stems of the bunched plants floating, as a lot of fish love them for cover.

How well plants would be supported in your existing tank depends on how long you've been running it. If you want rooted plants like crypts (planted straight into your gravel) even those are going to need some roots tabs. Even the easy ones. That means the difference between staring at a 3 or 4" crypt for months, or seeing new growth.

Great info! Thanks v much, will give some of them a go....I assume tropical fish are fine with root tabs and liquid fert?

Oh dear that's a tricky one!! Can u use those extra long tweezers??

It's obvious you haven't seen my kitchen chairs! ha! I think I'd be better off standing on a stool and wearing a snorkel and diving in head first!:fish2:

Great info! Thanks v much, will give some of them a go....I assume tropical fish are fine with root tabs and liquid fert?

Most fish should be fine with them. Make sure you get the root tabs completely under the gravel to keep from having cloudiness. I dose liquid ferts at one half dose once per week, and my stems are going like gangbusters.

Oh dear that's a tricky one!! Can u use those extra long tweezers??
I think I'll try my kitchen tongs. I've got a "rock" background so it's a little hard to get around in my tank.

Attachments

• 2013-01-27 19.59.19.jpg
    2013-01-27 19.59.19.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 50
Our lfs sold me some Flourish for when I get plants. Will that plus the tabs be sufficient? I'm not ready to invest in a CO2 system yet.

Low light plants don't really need CO2.

If you're talking about this, and root tabs, you should be good to go.

img_2309715_0_aeadb09ace52b04790ef63384c052162.jpg

Back
Top Bottom