Potting Soil and Gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would putting potting soil combined with gravel work well for a substrate and give the plants a good amount of nutrients?

I can work if you choose the potting soil carefully. Have you read Diana Walstad's book "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium"? If not I highly suggest you read it before you use any type of soil substrate. And/or you can go to the AquaBotanic forums where she moderates a forum.

The reason you want to do a lot of research is because pottiing soil is tricky, even for experts like Walstad.
I have not read her book, but I hit these forums enough to offer a little info on the Walstad 'technique'. She does use potting soil, but not high light. Potting soil is more nutrient rich than you want in a high light tank.

well you have to get the right kind of potting soil which won't have any added fertilizers or chemicals in it. i think some people even bake their soil to sterilize it first.

If you did that, you shouldn't have to worry about killing fish.

I used potting soil and gravel as described in Diana Walstad's book in my 29 gallon aquarium. It is planted with Anubias nana, Anubias coffeefolia and bolbitus under a 20W ColorMax fluorescent lamp. These are all slow growing plants that require very little light. They have rhizomes that are on the surface of the gravel but with strong, deep roots. I also use the Plant-Gro CO2 system from Hagen although this probably isn't necessary.

This is my attempt at an African biotope aquarium that has a pair of Kribs, seven Congo Tetras, three upside down catfish and an African log sucking catfish. I added a Siamese algae eater recently as I have put one in five different aquariums. This aquarium has been set up like this for about a year and a half. The plants have all thrived to the point where I am running out of room for them.

Back
Top Bottom