Powerhead for 15 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricardo48

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do I need a powerhead for my 15 gallon medium planted tank.

I currently have a HOB filter at one end but its not very powerful and creates little water circulation.

My stingray internal filter is for the bulk of my filtration, however its outlet is aimed into a co2 diffuser so it again creates very little water circulation.

Do I really need to add a powerhead to my tank also? Or is all this electrical stuff just overkill for a small tank?

I am just concerned as I dont want algae issues or detritus building up on my plant leaves and hairgrass.

thought about adding another hob on the other side? if you already have a internal filter do you really want to add one more thing into the tank?

If you use a powerhead get the smallest one, zoomed makes one that oscillated I think model 212, cheap and nice for current. I sue an ac20 powerhead on my 52 just for current.

got malaysian trumpet snails or OTO's in the tank? that will take care of your detritus issues if you have them.

Dont really have issues yet... but after time fish waste will build up and my hairgrass never stays nice lime green colours... always goes brown.

I was hoping to maybe connect my co2 into a new powerhead with airline inlet. I can then remove my internal filter completely and use my HOB only?

But if my HOB is not going very fast will it provide enough biological filtration? I dont want to have any ammonia/nitrite/nitrate issues by removing my primary filter.

hair grass often is grown emersed and there is a transition period. if this isnt the case then its prob the lack of light.

plants that are growing really do help with the bio filtration. in most of my planted tanks i just use sponges only in the filters jut to keep the water clean. since most internal filters dont have much room in there for media you prob wont have any problem taking out the internal and adding a power head.

2x24 watt T5 HO at 6700K with reflectors, on a 15 gallon not enough light for hairgrass??

Thats over 3.2wpg excluding reflectors and fact its HO

Back
Top Bottom