Powerhead placement in new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdfox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys. I am new to the planted world and setting up a 37g tall. Just got in a Hydor 425 powerhead (the nano line) and am looking for suggestions for placement in the tank, especially since this tank is so tall. I have moneywort and cabomba rooting now, with more plants on the way. Plans so far are for this to be an easier, low-light setup. Driftwood is soaking now, so that and slate will be added. Still figuring out my fish stock wish list.

I am running a new Fluval C4 and the biowheel 200 that I received with the tank. I took the actual biowheel out and only have 4 layers of quilt batting in that filter. Also have an Eheim heater and have the tank at 76-77 degrees.

Please and thank you on suggestions for the small powerhead placement and any other opinions and advice on anything else!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 171
I have the same tank and I run a fluval aquaclear 50 and marineland penguin rated for 20 gal

Those two have generated sufficient current for me so far as I can tell but I'm curious to see your feedback!

This is my tank by the way. I set it up last summer and it has been slowing altered since
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424891523.410576.jpg

Don't mind the ugly breeder box, it has a few baby guppies that are not quite old enough to be sexed ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nice Hippo! What is that plant in the back right? Is that an African water fern? I am really new to the plants, so I'm not sharp yet on identifying. I know the African water fern is one I wanted to get.

So here is where I decided to stick the powerhead for now.
It sounds as if we have similar sized filters running as well as the tank size. The main reason I decided on the powerhead is because of the height of the tank, wanted to make sure the mid level and bottom of tank get some movement.

Also, do you have any recommendations on who to order plants through online? I've found a few, the one that has many choices was rather high on the shipping fee.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 462
It's a mix of plants, Java fern, narrow leaf Java fern, windelov Java fern and
One was labeled "tropical fern" in a tube at Petsmart so I'm not sure on that one.
They're all tied to an L shaped piece of wood and made into a tree sort of

My flow has seemed adequate and my plants on the bottom are always moving with the current so I'm satisfied with how it is but I also had a betta in the tank until a few weeks ago so I didn't want too much current!

I got a lot of my plants from people here on the forum and I've ordered some from substrate source I believe. And I've picked up some of my smaller crypts and anubias nana from Petsmart in addition to a few ferns.

I'm also planning on getting some jungle Val from my LFS soon

That's awesome, I love the looks of that. What type of lighting are you using. I think I'm just finding out that I'm under-lit with what I received with the tank. I looking at new fixtures now, really have an eye on a finnex planted+

The lights are fluorescent compact bulbs from Home Depot in clip on shop lights!
The lights are 1550 lumens each at 6500K
I've heard great things about the finnex lights however I have not used one due to budget.
The lights I have ended up costing under $30 including a timer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well whatever you're doing seems to be working just great. I'm trying to figure it all out now. What about CO2, do you use a system or just dose liquids like excel? And if you use liquids, what and how often? Sorry for all the questions, just need all the help and advice I can get. I'll find myself in a forum rabbit hole thinking I need a CO2 system, but then read something saying that I don't considering all of my plans are for low light, easy plants.

Thanks for all of your info and help

I like having substantial growth (even with my slow growing anubias)
So I have diy co2 fed into my aquaclear intake and I like it a lot. It's a very low amount but I think it's just enough to make my plants happy. I have low to medium light plants for the most part too but with the co2 algae growth isn't too bad
I also have my lights on a 4 on 4 off 4 on, off for the night schedule to let the co2 build up

Yeah pretty much! Here's a picture
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425152147.704333.jpg
The bottle is from a whole foods juice. I like it because the shape makes it hard to tip over

Awesome. Yea, your tank looks really good. Guess I've figured out my project for tonight!

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom