Preparations for a new tank have now begun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those fixtures are pretty awesome, huh. I guess they should be for that amount of money. :D

I think you'd be fine with the MH lighting. You may want to put a 24 or 30" fixture in the middle of the tank so that you'll have good coverage...I think its Glenc that has that setup, maybe? I could be making that up though. :D If you wanted T5 HO for the middle, you could do like a 48w fixture. Not a ton of light, but you'd still have some coverage in the middle.

MH lighting makes plants look so gooood. I can't wait to have a big planted tank with MHs.

edit: Just saw that you are going with a 90g, right? You probably won't need the middle fixture then. MH should cover it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd love a 6 footer, but I'll be happy enough wiht a 4 or 5

okay so that's lighting sorted. I will install two MH 300w lights. I think I'm happy enough with that. Perhaps I'll also look at submersible blue leds for moon lighting.

This tank has given me some inspiration on a DIY MH setup form a guy named Grubs over here. I'm using Neilan's overhead suspension system on the 2 footer, but I like the industrial look of this set up and how he has used low watt halogens for evening viewing.

'Dreamtime' - the life and times of my 600l showpiece. - Aquariumlife

Okay.. Unfortunately, some pesky university assignments have diverted my attention in the last few weeks. But in the last 24 hours, some further decisions have been made:

I've decided on a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank (which I think is 128 gallon/485 liters).
MH lights will be used
4 x discus
A suitable array of tank mates.
Planted

I have to admit, I'm a little intimidated about venturing into the CO2 realm, but I feel pretty confident that the advice I need is here on the forum....

Just on the lighting, now that we know the size of the tank. Will the WPG rule apply on a tank of this size? I recall reading somewhere that the WPG doesn't work on large and small tanks. I knew it falls to pieces on small tanks... Does it also do that on larger tanks? And what's considered "large"?

I've been looking at plants.. I see Glosso requires high-ish light. So does Stargrass. These are the types of plants I wouldn't mind having the option of having in my tank. So I'm thinking I should bump up to 500w of lighting which will give me 4 WPG. Would this be right for this tank?

To those have success growing "most plants" - how many WPG are you running at? How difficult/time consuming do you find your tank to maintain?

I don't want to out-do myself.

Last edited:
4x2x2 is 120 gallons, that's a good sized tank!

CO2 is easy, don't get intimidated. It's a lot of info to understand, but actual application isn't that bad. Pressurized systems are pretty robust and solid, I don't think you'll have any issues.

The WPG rule, IMO, doesn't work really for larger tanks. For instance, I have 312W of T5 on my 125, and I've yet to find anything I couldn't grow. Your tank would definately be considered large. I assume you're considering going 2x250W MH? I don't have any experience with MH, but that's a good amount of light and agree you could grow anything with it. But, you'll also need to be very consistent in your CO2 and fert regimes to hopefully avoid algae nightmares. That's a ton of light. Let some others with experience chime in, but you could also consider 175W MHs to reduce it a bit as well.

I'd say for that size aquarium you'd probably be fine with just 3WPG (maybe even less) and be able to grow pretty much anything you want.

I had planned originally planned on 2 x 150w MH lights. If I add a 70w MH to that, that gives me 370w of lighting all up. That puts me at pretty much 2.9wpg.

2 x 175w MH would do the same thing. Thanks guys.... I'll definitely stick to around the 3wpg mark.

With Discus, I hear that they are a little on the messy side. Am I going to want a little more filtration than the norm?

Good Luck Sharon, I have no advice for you but I have been following your thread and learning as much as I can as I hope one day to go into Co2 and higher lights.

Congrats on your purchase, can't wait to see it come together.

With that size tank you'll definately want some decent filtration. Especially for discus, they demand pristine water conditions. The plants will help that tremendously, but you'll need a good filter or two as well.

Hi Mom2Reds. An excellent strategy... learn from others' mistakes. hahahaha!

I agree Neilanh, which is why I'm tempted to use my JEBO 825 plus another filter on the 4ft. The JEBO is currently being used for my 2 foot, but at a 1000lph, is overkill for that tank.... So I rekon I will put the Fluval 2 Plus internal unit back on the 2 f'er. There was nothing really wrong with that filter... It's just that I bought the JEBO on the advice of an LFS after I told him my tank was bigger than it really was :)

The good thing is that it is fully stocked with beneficial bacteria! No cycling time needed! The only think I would have to so is put some new media inside the Fluval 2 Plus and wait some time for the BB to build up in that filter before moving the JEBO.

Given that the JEBO 825 does give me 1000 lph, me thinks that this might even be enough filtration on a 120g. Discus people, what do you think??

Question to all the CO2 nuts

I have an opportunity to buy one of these for $100 (rrp $169)

Aqua Medic Reactor 1000 External CO2 Diffuser

Okay? not okay? I haven't gotten that far in my research on CO2. I know I need a few things, including several items I've yet to fully understand, a reactor being one of these. I didn't know that these things could come as external units. How do they work?

Last edited:
Hey there. Don't know how I missed this thread! My tank is 72"longx24"highx18"deep. I run 2x150wt HQI Coralife clamp on pendants, built in fans.They don't need to be housed in a closed unit, just clamp on the back of the tank, no over heating the tank problems. Also have 2x65wt PC in the middle. You won't need a middle fixture on a 4 ft tank. Plan is to get another clamp on MH fixture for the middle, just to much money at the moment! Used the clamp ons are still $200 each. New you'll pay $300. 2 x I50wt of MH is plenty for my tank, in fact, at one point I had to attach boards to the tank stand to clamp them higher off the water surface, to much light. Magor algea issues till I got the dosing down to match the light level and plant mass. If I didn't have some planted tank experience it could have been a disaster. MH lighting is very powerfull. Come to think of it, I may not need that 3rd MH fixture. Whatever wattage of MH you decide to use, keep a close eye on the tank, pack it with as many plants as you can. Scape it later, just get things growing so algea can't take over. If you find the light is to intense, raise them higher off the tank. I didn't know what to expect with MH, never tried them. This is one reason I went with pendant style MH instead of a hood. Easier to raise them up if you have to. Part of the fun of this hobby, trial and error!

I have seen that C02 reactor, hear it is a good one. I believe you need a seperate small pump to run it. First you pipe your C02 to the unit.The pump will draw water out of your tank, through the unit dissolving the C02 into the water in the unit, and back into your tank. You can also hook multiple units together in line if you want to. You could probably hook it up to the output side of a cannister filter as well. The beauty of this unit is that is outside your tank, you don't have to see it in your tank.
I have been piping my C02 into one of my my Fluval 404 cannister filters on my 125. I have tried many ways to inject C02, injecting into the cannister filter gives me as good a result as any other method I have tried. I hear it's not great for your filter, but the Fluval is tough and I have had no problems in the 2 years I've been doing it.The reactor you are looking at would probably do a better job, Ive not tried that one. It would definatly be easier on your filter! This is to cool, you will love that big tank. Can't wait to see it set up!:)

Volume: 125G
Dimensions: 72"L x 22"H x 18"D
Light: 2x250w Metal Halide 10000K XDE
4x39w T-5 HO 6000K Giesemann Midday

Currently running the MH lights for six hours during middle of light cycle and the T-5 HO lights for the full 12 hour cycle. Some issues with algae on glass, but I've always had them with high light in this tank. Plants begin pearling within 15 minutes of MH lights firing. Coloration on growth tips goes well beyond anything I've achieved with CF lighting. I am extremely happy with this set up so far. The point-source "shimmer" effect from the metal halides is incredible. The Giesemann T-5 HO 6000K Midday bulbs possess, without a doubt, the finest color rendition I have ever seen. My fish and plants have never looked more brilliant to me (but hey, I'm colorblind, so who's counting :p ).
Hey again,
This is some or Travis Simonson's tank lighting info. not sure how current this is, gives you an idea. He runs allot more light than I do and has one of the most beautiful tanks around. And he's colour blind to boot!

hahahaha thanks Glen. It's kinda because of you this project is being kicked off. I've studied your stunning 6 footer quite closely, and I very much appreciate your advice!

I've decided on 2 x 150w MH. The tank will not have a hood, as I prefer an open top (or glass top only). I imagine that the fixtures will be mounted onto two poles, along with some small halogen downlights so I can enjoy a bit of ambient light on the tank into the evening.

I'd buy a half decent MH combo fixture with all that on it, but I'm looking at $1k price tag. If it buy it separately and put it all together myself, I think I can halve that cost. Definitely worth the effort IMO

That reactor works. The most efficient way to run it is to plumb it inline with a canister filter. Or, you could use a seperate pump like glen mentioned.

Just a point of note, though. If you look closely at it, it's just some PVC and bio balls. You can make a replica of it for around $25 with some PVC, PVC glue, a brass barb and some bioballs. Sparky697 has a DIY article with tons of photos in the DIY section if you're interested. They work great, 100% diffusion, but $100 is steep for what it is IMO.

And this is why I ask before shelling out $100 bucks when I really could use it elsewhere. Sparky's article is really good. I think its worth giving it a go!

And this is why I ask before shelling out $100 bucks when I really could use it elsewhere. Sparky's article is really good. I think its worth giving it a go!

I've built several of these and they are very easy once you track down all the parts. Definately not worth $100 to buy what can easily be built for much less.

Okay off on another tangent.

This time, it is about discus, so I appreciate insight from those experienced with them.

I've been doing some reading (thanks HappyGirl for those links) and I have some questions regarding some of the info I've read

1. I have read that if I am wanting to raise juvies to adulthood then a planted tank is not the way to go. The info I'm reading is that suggesting that bare bottom tanks are strongly favoured because discus need good clean water (which I already know) and I also saw it quoted that some people change up to 75% of the water daily... Is this a credible statement? Under what type of conditions (aside from finding myself cycling with discus in the tank, which I would just NOT do) would have me ending up changing 75% of the water daily?

I'm lucky to have water that's pretty good for discus. Soft and acidic and of very good quality. I'm not likely to have to do PWCs of 75%, am I?

The frequent water changes are because you have to feed the fish so often and the amount of waste they create. This results in doing water changes more often to maintain those pristine water conditions. No idea if it'd be as much as 75% daily as I haven't researched them myself.

Back
Top Bottom