proper planting of anubias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeutonJon78

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the proper way of planting anubias?

I've read that A. nana like to have the rhizome above the substrate, but what about the other species/variants?

A rhizome is technically an underground root, so wouldn't most benefit form being planted in the substrate?

All discussion and personal experience wanted.

The rhizome is the junction of the stem and the root system, so it would lie above the substrate, with only the actual roots being buried. The plant will not do well with the rhizome buried, though it is tempting because with it above the substrate the plant is top-heavy and tends to lift up with the slightest touch until established, which takes a good while.

I have several varieties of anubias and in my case they grow better when "planted" in the substrate, but many people tie it to driftwood like you would java fern.

Here is how I buried my anubias nana "petite": I tucked the vertical roots -- they were pretty short -- into the gravel, while leaving the horizontal rhizome above the gravel. I used a plant weight to keep it down.

Burying the rhizome of any Anubias variety will eventually kill the plant....bury just the roots, or, better yet, secure the plant to a rock or piece of sumerrged bogwood so it can anchor itself to the rock/wood.

Tying the anubias to wood or rock seems like a time-consuming task, but I can vouch for the fact that it is rewarding to do this. I took some fine fishing line and tied mine to my wood arch. It looks phenomenal, and took only a few minutes. I'll post some pics soon. Definitely a great way to show off your anubias.

Jon

webmoose running to check his anubias lanceolata......

it is ok if the rhizome is sitting on the substrate right? or should i try to have it slightly above?

Back
Top Bottom