Remaking 29g...need light and ground cover advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nonameface

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm starting over on my 29g tank, I just moved across the country and get to start from scratch (mostly).

Standard 29g
Current compact fluorescent fixture...one "dual" bulb so I'm guessing 65W?
Here is the light I have...Freshwater bulb
no CO2 yet, have done DIY in the past with pop bottles..am considering a full pressurized setup but don't want to spend the money.
Red Flourite substrate (used in my last tank...reusing it in this one. About 1.5 years old)

My questions:
First I want to do another light upgrade. I'm concerned that the light that I have doesn't have the power to reach to bottom of the tank (usable light for the plants...it is illuminated just fine). I am considering a T-5 HO setup, but almost all the 30" fixtures seem to only have 2x24W bulbs in them. I'd like more wattage for the tank. Will the T-5HOs give the penetration I need for the taller 29g tank? (my biggest gripe about the tank...wouldn't do a 29g again if I decided to buy a new tank...would do 20g Long). Any suggestions for a fixture? Looking at something less then $300. Are there any double bulb CF fixtures that would work (if the penetration is enough)

I want the penetration because I would like to grow a low ground cover in the tank with a pile of rocks slightly off center as my aquascaping. Nothing really high growing in the tank. trying to simulate a big meadow with a rocky outcropping. What should I grow as the ground cover? Anything that will stay 1" - 1.5"? I don't mind trimming and it doesn't have to look like "grass" just a nice covering. I don't know what to try. I don't really want to mess with the riccia because its a floater and seems like quite the hassle to weigh it down, Especially a tank full of it! I need some advice!

Thanks!

you could get a Current Sundial fixture, they make one that is 96w... something similar to this except in a fw version or just swap out the actinics for 10,000k's

Perfect! That is the only 30" fixture I could find as well that had more then 2x24W bulbs in it. Thanks for the link though, that looks like a good price for it!

Will the CF bulbs penetrate enough to get the to the bottom of the tank for a low ground cover? Or do I definitely need to upgrade to the t-5HO which I'm already considering...

I think your light is fine....plenty of light to grow MANY species of plants...what are your trying to grow though? Some of the truly red plants need more light.

I dont want to grow too many species. I was concerned mostly about the CF light penetration into the bottom of the tank. I want a ground covering ONLY with a rocky outcropping. No taller plants which is why I'm worried about the penetration into the bottom of the tank.

I wanted to grow Dwarf Baby Tears (HC) as the ground covering (I think...) still open to a more "grassy" alternative though. Is there a fine grass like plant...maybe dwarf hairgrass...I don't know if it will fill out as a ground covering or not?

I am planning on doing DIY co2 while I save for a pressurized system. I've decided I'm definately doing co2 on this tank.

SO my main concern is that my CF light won't penetrate to the bottom of the 29g because of its increased height over many common tank sizes. Any thoughts?

My personal experience is that the light penetration on a 29gal is no problem....it's when they get taller like 90 gal; that it becomes an issue. The biggest prob with light penetration on a 29 is shade from other plants...If you are not planting many tall or floating plants then you should be fine.
Dwarf hair grass is nice, but you can also try micro chain swords which will actually flower in the right conditions....cool plant.

sounds like you're thinking of an iwagumi layout like this http://www.amanotakashi.net/portfolio/nature_aquarium/images/017.jpg

i have 65w cfl over my 29 and i dont get "great" lighting on my substrate but it's def enough to support plant life. your plants might not flourish and grow like crazy but they shouldnt die off on you either. i think bumping it up to the t5s would be a better option considering that you really only want ground cover. diy co2 is ok but it can fluctuate a lot and that can cause algae issues like bba. so i saving your money for pressurized is definately in order.

Wow, that tank is almost exactly what I had pictured! That is a gorgeous tank!

I've done DIY co2 before and I know its a pain in the rear. I also know that it fluctuates ALOT, you have tons of co2 when you first make your mixture and it slowly falls off as the sugar is used up and yeast dies. I was getting about 3wks-1mo out of my DIY co2 in the past...but near the end there is little co2 left coming out of the diffuser.

Is the aquariumplants.com electronic regulator really worth the price difference over say the milwaukee regulator? ($190 vs $90) I found a place I can buy the co2 tank just down from my house...but they only have steel tanks and they are MORE then the aluminum ones on aquariumplants.com (the best price I could find...$50 for a NEW aluminum 5lb tank)

Welcome to AA! I used to live right down the street from you in Avondale. If you haven't been there yet, check out Aquatouch at 32d St and Cactus. It is a great store with a great selection of FW plants and fish, and some awesome products. They carry all of the ADA stuff. A little pricey, but a really nice store.

I have the milwaukee MA957 as do a lot of members here - I have found it to be a great regulator / solenoid.

I also use the milwaukee SMS122 pH meter to control the solenoid, but you can just put it on a timer for awhile, and consider saving up for the pH meter if you want to go that route. $50 for a new tank is a good price... The aluminum ones do look nice. Hopefully you wont end up like me -- I had a nice aluminum tank and had a place that would refill my tank... then I moved. Where I live now, the only place I can get CO2 does not fill the tanks... they only exchange them. So now I have a WWII era steel tank. Oh well, it is under the cabinet anyway, so you can't see it. It felt like giving up a child though when I had to trade in my shiny aluminum one.

Back
Top Bottom