Replanting Chain Sword Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WBAC88

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm in the middle of replanting my 65g tank and I'm having some trouble with my chain swords. I have two colonies of them and, especially with the smaller runners, I'm having trouble keeping them in the substrate (pool filter sand). Any suggestions for helping to keep them grounded. Sould I split up the colonies a little. I'm trying to get them a bit more consolidated since they've spread willy-nilly on two separate sides of my tank. Thanks.

My Chain Swords grow like weeds ;)
Are you giving them Root Tabs ? Mine start out barely rooted and seem to dig in on their own. You can cut the babies off the runner and replant them if you like. I found a baby CS growing inside my Shrimp breeding tubes LOL.

Coursair said:
My Chain Swords grow like weeds ;)
Are you giving them Root Tabs ? Mine start out barely rooted and seem to dig in on their own. You can cut the babies off the runner and replant them if you like. I found a baby CS growing inside my Shrimp breeding tubes LOL.

I ended up answering my own question. I was more worried about the physical difficulty of replanting them, since their roots tend to be small and they like to get pulled out of my pool filter sand with no effort at all. I was able to consolidate all of them into the center of my tank by splitting up the chains. For anybody who finds this later, I found that planting the biggest single plant in any given chain first and then weighing down the strand with a small rock helped to keep them in place while the rest of the runners got pushed down into the sand. Took forever since there must have been 50 individual little plants, but definitely worth it. I'll post pictures when the tank has cleared. Thanks for the help though.

Back
Top Bottom