Riccia Fluitans (Crystalwort)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked up a pot of Riccia Fluitans (or what I believe to be) from Petco a couple days ago. I was looking for a foreground plant to hopefully spread into a small carpet in a front corner of my tank. I wasn't sure what I was buying, there was no tag in the pot. I assumed what I was buying had a root system since it was in a typical plastic pot with rockwool.

When I got home and removed the rockwool, there were no roots, just a continuation of the plant that lost its green color where it was buried. Nothing was rotting away, so I figured it ok to plant.

I planted the bunch in a front corner of my tank, under some pretty direct light. The top of the plant is about 18" below the surface. Its been planted for about 2 days now. Nothing has come up and floated away and it looks to be doing ok initially. I've looked up what I purchased and it appears to be Riccia. I've read this is a floating plant. Will this plant live, planted this deep?

It is planted in flourite, supplement with root tabs, excel, diy CO2, & FlorinMulti. Lights are 1x10w 6500K CFL, 1x13w 6500K CFL, 1x15w 5000k T8 ZooMed FloraSun. Tank is 18 gallon tall (20"x10"x20").

Any chance it will grow out over the substrate and create a carpet, or will it just grow up toward the surface?

Due to the lighting level and the height of your tank, my guess is that it would mainly just grow towards the surface. To get a good carpeting effect you need high light + co2. You do have co2, which is good, but I wouldn't call your lighting "high light," especially when taking into consideration the height of the tank.

It won't root. Ever. It's a floating plant, not an epiphyte like moss or ferns. In fact, you can tie it down to a rock or something and if you don't keep it trimmed, it will eventually come off in sheet, or worse, buoy up if its attached to something light like a mesh.

It won't root. Ever. It's a floating plant, not an epiphyte like moss or ferns. In fact, you can tie it down to a rock or something and if you don't keep it trimmed, it will eventually come off in sheet, or worse, buoy up if its attached to something light like a mesh.

Thanks. I'll let it float up then when it does. Maybe I'll be able to trade it for something at a later date. I ended up paying something like $2.80 for it, so no matter.

Back
Top Bottom