riccia fluitans help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lukie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
riccia fluitans.. I bought 2 small meshes of this stuff to plant in my substrate, hoping I'd be able to get a nice carpet going..

Sadly, it doesn't seem to be doing much. Maybe slightly growing? It's been a week. the lighting is moderate, and I'm using Flourish Plant Stuff since I cannot really run a Co2 system in the setup I have currently. I have Dwarf Baby Tears that are growing (and from what I gather, they shouldn't be in my lighting :p)

I did get a second bunch, but it was just a free floating lot and it just.. tore up when I put it in my water (made a mess) so I put it into my sisters small tank and it's doing well floating around.

but yeah. I am REALLY wanting a carpet of this.. any tips to getting it growing? I noticed one of the two meshes I put down was put in a high water movement area, and (excuse me for being terribly nooby with plants) it seemd as if peices that were transparent came off and stuck themselves to some of my DBT's and they're just kind of chilling.. Are these runners? (Is that even the right term?) should I let them be, maybe plant them? Or are they simply dead pieces?

Sorry again for being a noob when it comes to plant, I'm just rather taken b this plant in particular. I can get some images of it if need be :)

It's a floating plant in nature where it gets high light and plenty of co2. That's why for it to thrive fully immersed, you really need to inject co2 and have moderate to high light. In my experience with it, liquid carbon like excel will just melt riccia.

Edit: although not the way I do it, I've read reports of riccia doing okay with normal excel dosing. However, when overdosing to treat algae for instance, it'll melt it like vals. But I suppose you can slowly increase doses over time to acclimate it. But perhaps these instances I read about are of riccia kept in the tank as a floating mat, not as a carpet, tied to stones, or dw.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom