Root rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was noticing that the wysteria and scarlet temple in my 10g was looking a bit weathered, more so than the other plants in the tank, including the bacopa and swords. At first, I thought my goldfish was involved, but when i started moving these plants, I found the roots have rotted away. I'm hoping and betting they will again thrive in my 29g, but what causes this? I brought these wysteria plants back from root rot from the package, and it took over this same 29g tank I moved it to just now.

Sent from my Android with one arm in the tank.

I've had this issue most with my swords. I think it might be due to a couple of factors. First, not keeping my substrate clean was a big contributor to my plants poor health. Make sure you are keeping the bottom clean! Second, when my plants have been buried too deep I've noticed some root death. A final factor would be ferts. Heavy root feeders like amazon swords need nutrients. I suspect when there is a chronic lack of ferts, roots will start to die back.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't think it would be a chronic lack of nutrients as I usually put 6-12-6 root spikes every month or two. It's sand, and I vacuum the top of it every 4 days when I change water. I also jab my finger into the sand every couple weeks. How do I clean sand properly?

It's my wysteria and templs are what's ruined right now. Bacopa and swords look fine.

It sounds like you're doing everything ok. The only other thing I can think of is maybe a lack of micronutrients. I use Osmocote + DIY root tabs which gets me macronutrients and micros.

Someone with a little more experience than me can probably say for certain what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The root spikes has micros as well. I got the idea from Mebid, though I use Miracle-GRO.

Back
Top Bottom