Root Tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ceej

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm new to the whole planted tank side of the hobby. I put in 6 root tabs in my 10 gal tank like it called for. The sand is turning brown! Does this mean I don't have enough sand in the tank? So confused.

ForumRunner_20111218_110530.jpg

Last night.

ForumRunner_20111218_110648.jpg

This morning.

That's normal, its the clay in the tab breaking down. To avoid the discoloration in the future I'd bury them deeper and try not to mess with them at all, or pick a root tab that doesn't use red clay.

jetajockey said:
That's normal, its the clay in the tab breaking down. To avoid the discoloration in the future I'd bury them deeper and try not to mess with them at all, or pick a root tab that doesn't use red clay.

Should I add more sand or not worry about it?

My filter media and inlet tube are turning brown/red, too.

That doesn't sound normal, are you sure those aren't diatoms? Root tabs dissolve and the red clay ones will release some clay into the water, so it's possible if there's a bunch dissolving. I'd put more sand on top of it, my ideal planted tank depth is usually 2 1/2" -3".

It's gotta be the clay. As soon as I noticed the discoloration, I tried moving the tab closer to the two plants and the nutrients dissolved into the water.

ForumRunner_20111218_115131.jpg

These swords aren't getting any color back. Looks like they're dead.

ForumRunner_20111218_120049.jpg

Two 10 watt bulbs. I bought the amazon swords 24 hrs ago.

Greenish red. Nothing like that! I know they tend to die a bit at first, but not totally die. Could my fishless cycle have anything to do with it? The high ammonia levels? I uprooted them and tossing them in the trash :/

Should I do a pwc to get the root tab out since I have no live plants, or just leave it?

ForumRunner_20111218_121326.jpg

I don't think so, normally plants do well during fishless cycles because of the plentiful food source. I'd suspect they were on their way out when you got them, amazon swords should be a lush green color, assuming that's what they were.

The root tab isn't going to hurt anything, you can leave it if the discoloration isn't an issue for you.

Yeah, they must've been more dead than they appeared. Lesson learned.

The discoloration isn't an issue. Maybe it'll go away after awhile.

Thanks a ton for your help!

Back
Top Bottom