Show me your non co2 tank ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
And if you have the time, tell me more about it (substrate, fertilization routine, light level, plants and fish if you want to type a lot).

I don't understand all the brand and type names at all, with the lights and such.

I'm starting what is probably a 6-12 month plot to move up from a 29 to a 75. I'm very very new to plants and want to see what's possible without injected co2.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Here is my 20g long shrimp tank:
mFqOnWa.png

Lighting: 30" Coralife dual T5 NO fixture; Heater: 50w? Finnex Titanium; Filter: AC50; Plants: moss (java, flame), Crypt wendtii red, crypt undulata. Ferts: root pellets usually once a month but have not added in the last 3-4 months...no other ferts provided; Stock: 25+ RCS, lots of MTS
Lighting is dim and growth is slow. But the crypt population is 4x than when I started this in May 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's very serene looking.

And how do you resist the temptation to add fish? Lol.

I've been tempted but that would thwart my shrimp breeding/rearing efforts. Confession...it has been 25 months since my last fish purchase. If the shrimp did not work out I would put thread fins, kuhlis, or attempt dwarf cichlids.
This tank is the epitome of low maintenance.

Here's my 2.5g shrimp tank with a few tiger endlers in it. As you can see I have some rams horn snails. No co2 and light is the stock light fixture with a 10 watt 6500k cfl bulb. I dose glut and ferts sporadically. Low maintenance just changes and purge snails. Heater is a cheap tetra heater for 10g ( don't remember the wattage) and I have two filters, the stock one that came with the tank and a toms mini filter. Substrate is fluorite.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414888710.871745.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414888738.651782.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Very nice setup Fresh2o...what are you using for substrate?

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

40 gal.
2 algae eaters
1 pleco
2 angel
2 gouramis
3 platties
....I can't name/remember my plants..

Sent from my XT1030 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1414888977136.jpg
    1414888977136.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 159
40 gal.
2 algae eaters
1 pleco
2 angel
2 gouramis
3 platties
....I can't name/remember my plants..

Sent from my XT1030 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nice tank,liking your Angel.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My tank is a 25 gallon.

Fish: kuhli's/gourami/GBR's/ cardinals/forktails/oto's/SAE's/platy/corydoras aeneus

Plants: anubias nana/anubias barterii/vallisneria/bacopa/hygrophila/amazon sword/crypticorne tropica/pogostemon helferi

Dosage: 4ml easycarbo/day, 2ml profito/day, 10ml ferro/week, roottabs

40% water change weekly

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415102320.708227.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415102355.443218.jpg

Sent per three-eyed raven...

Here is a link to a video of my seventy five gallon low tech. Not too planted now, but I'm getting there.

20g with 2 species of anubias, cryptocoryne, and java moss
Lighting is DIY LEDs
I dose Flourish Excel, Flourish Potassium (actually, potassium sulfate), and Flourish comprehensive
Substrat is mostly Seachem Flourite

Currently only inhabited by 2 corydoras, 6 amano shrimp, and a lampeye killi lone survivor of it's kind from a disease brought by a dwarf gourami last year. I didn't add any new fish since.

This is an old picture, but not much changed except there are now a bit more/bigger anubias and crypts

img_3082994_0_dda8dc5785bf115f03fb7c8813838f99.jpg

I know you said NON CO2, but the before photo was before I hooked up co2. I didn't want to spend the money on pressurized co2, so I went the DIY CO2 route and spent about $10 and this is the results after only 6 days

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1415156380312.jpg
    1415156380312.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 113
Thanks! I had no idea how un-green my plants were and how minimal the growth was. To be honest, I was surprised when I put the photos side by side. I'm really excited!

Thanks! I had no idea how un-green my plants were and how minimal the growth was. To be honest, I was surprised when I put the photos side by side. I'm really excited!

CO2 can have an amazing effect on plant growth.
Is that an air pump powered air stone in the back? I would not run it during daylight or not run it at all.

Yes. That's an air pump. You recommend not pumpkin oxygen through the tank? Mind me asking why that is? In my other 60 gal tank I have 2 air stones running 24/7.

The air bubbles will drive out the CO2 you are adding. So will splashing from filters.
Some folks are concerned about CO2 accumulation overnight and run an air pump when the lights are off. I ran DIY CO2 for about a year and the drop checker never showed a CO2 excess at any point in the day.

Ohhh awesome! Appreciate the hint. It's all about maximizing how much co2 I can keep in the tank especially with this DIY system. I don't have a drop checker, and was wondering how much one would cost?

Ohhh awesome! Appreciate the hint. It's all about maximizing how much co2 I can keep in the tank especially with this DIY system. I don't have a drop checker, and was wondering how much one would cost?

If your livestock is fine without the air stone, then you don't need to use it.
The Fluval drop checker costs about $15 on Amazon and it includes a premixed indicator solution. I also have an all glass one and it requires a mix of 4dkh solution and drops of pH indicator solution (have not got around to mixing that yet).
When I used DIY CO2, the DC color would either be blue, blue green, or somewhat green (good). Never yellow green or yellow.

Back
Top Bottom