Snail identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gnarlybr02k12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was doing a water change and I was about to clean my filter when I saw that I had a snail! I'm thinking it came with the baby tears attached to the lava rock I had bought awhile back. I'm setting a up new tank soon and I was wondering what type of snail I have and if its safe to have in a planted tank. Also I don't want to have a snail take over so hopefully it isn't laying eggs everywhere!

Here are some picture I took.

tumblr_medtg8yGwd1qjr5fzo1_500.jpg
tumblr_medtm8R9Ma1qjr5fzo1_1280.jpg
I placed it on the sand it didn't seem to like that.
tumblr_medtockSNi1qjr5fzo1_500.jpg
tumblr_medtq58rq91qjr5fzo1_1280.jpg

Thanks!

Looks like a pond snail to me. They come as hitchhikers on plants, or eggs on plants, and if you have one you have more.

Lol they will reproduce. Do not overfed and keep an eye on the population. For almost six months I only had one in my ten gallon upped the feeding and now have about six .

Lol they will reproduce. Do not overfed and keep an eye on the population. For almost six months I only had one in my ten gallon upped the feeding and now have about six .

Looks like a pond snail to me. They come as hitchhikers on plants, or eggs on plants, and if you have one you have more.

I will be removing the little sucker! Hopefully the new tank doesn't have any of these unwanted hitchhikers.

I will be removing the little sucker! Hopefully the new tank doesn't have any of these unwanted hitchhikers.

If push comes to shove you can always get an assissin snail or two but remember once they are in the tank no good snails can be added, like Malaysian Trumpet Snails or Nerites.

Why don't you try getting some leaf lettuce, hold it under hot water until it softens, then place it in the tank. Remove and dispose of snails as they come to the bait to eat.

Back
Top Bottom