Snails and Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Case

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm curious about snail compatibility. I have a small 6 Gal Fluval Edge, well planted and only a few small fish as of right now. I've have a pond snail infestation that I'm trying to control with an Assassin Snail, and also through removing them when I see them. However, I'm starting to have a bit of an algae issue (have been using fertilizer every week and a half or so, and trying to get the right light cycle; I'm still new to planted tanks). I change the water about 20% and do a light gravel and surface vacuum twice a week, but algae likes to collect on areas that's hard for me to get at without disturbing the plants and stressing the fish, such as an awkward angel of a rock, or behind a plant rooted in driftwood.
If I were to get a nitrite snail (I'm looking at getting the small horned nitrite snail), would my assassin kill it? I don't have a big enough tank to get any type of catfish, and I do need something to help with algae growth, however I don't want it being killed off as well.
I'm using a True Lumen LED light strip (white) in my tank for lighting, as the lights that came with the Edge provided decent light, but only in the center areas, and caused quite a bit of algae to start to form before I got my TrueLumen. Im not sure if the lighting is effecting the algae growth or not.

Attachments

• image-3315147091.jpg
    image-3315147091.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 60
I have the same size aquarium,I'd have to guess you have the halogens that came with the tank....I replaced those with the upgraded led bulbs&i also use ferts along with glut(similar to excell)which benefits the plants as well as acting as an algaecide..

Back
Top Bottom