Soil/substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhsoto94

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have plants that aren't doing so well and was looking into getting potting soil for them. Is there specific aquarium soil or just regular type?

I have plants that aren't doing so well and was looking into getting potting soil for them. Is there specific aquarium soil or just regular type?

I think you can use regular, although it must be organic so that it contains no chemicals. You can grow plants in gravel or sand, just supplement growth with root tabs and liquid ferts

Yes i think youll have dark water for a while but the filter should get it back clear again. I dont see why not with that sand, not much different from other sands. Just make sure your plants get the nutrients they need

Here is mine with miracle grow organic potting mix and a play sand cap. This had been setup for about a week in this picture.

My first one with a gravel cap went a little yellow from time to time but never dark and I am the only one that ever noticed it. This is my other tank after being dirted for 4 months

I think you just put it in. I would guess if you were to wash it, youd begin washing nutrients out of the soil

Yeah that's what I was thinking but if don't know how much crap would be on the soil but if it's organic then I guess I wouldn't matter.

Yeah that's what I was thinking but if don't know how much crap would be on the soil but if it's organic then I guess I wouldn't matter.

Your better off waiting for someone with more experience with dirted tanks for advice before you do anything

If you really want to do a dirted tank you will need to remove EVERYTHING from the tank first including ALL of the water and substrate.

Then put down a layer of the organic soil (I use miracle grow organic gardening soil) and wet it down slightly. Just enough to make it moist but not wet; it doesn't take much water at all to do this. After that you put your cap over top of the dirt and then carefully fill the tank with water using a bowl so you don't disturb the substrate. Voila a dirted tank. I did 50 / 50 of pool filter sand and gardening soil for a depth of about 4 inches on my tank.

Other questions since dirting a tank is generally not a good fix for unhealthy plants:

What light do you have?
What size tank is this?
What plants do you have?
What fertilizers / root tabs are you using?
What do you have as a carbon source?

It will not fix sickly plants, but it does make already healthy plants amazing. I still use pps-pro fertilizer, root tabs, diy co2, and high lights.

Dustins dirted tank guide or his youtube videos dustins fish tanks!

Sent from my C6903 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've read posts in here describing that you get organic potting soil, sift or pick out any big chunks, lay in about a 1 1/2 to 2" layer. You wet the soil until not quite covered with water and press it down. Then you cap it with sand or Eco or gravel, etc. about 1 to 1 1/2". Then SLOWLY pour in your water using a bowl or layer of something to break up the flow. Then you do a 80 to 90% WC to get the cloudiest water out then run your filter until it clears completely. Then clean your filter and you're good to go.
All you experienced dirters out there please say if this is correct and do you have additional tips? I am about to change out the substrate in my 29g and it has fish in it. I'll be putting them in a 20g tub with heat and airstone during the change out but would not want to keep them out of the tank for more than 24 hrs. Is it possible to do a dirted tank and get things suitable for the fish in that time? If not, I'll just put in the Eco fine grade by itself. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, OS.

I have an older 20 gallon tank with the lights it came with I got rid of my newer tank but recently started getting back into the hobby but plan to upgrade soon. I use co2 tablets and liquid plant food. I don't have any fertilizer for them that's why I've been asking they just sit in the pot they came with. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388968323.700074.jpg

The employee at my lfs told be they could be left in the plastic pot and only required light and I wanted plants because I liked the look of them so I took his word on it. But they get worse each week. I would like to keep them because as you can tell my fish enjoy them a lot and only go to that side of my tank haha. Here's a pic of the dying leaves ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388968485.560108.jpg

Here s the thing, I think some of those aren t fully aquatic plants. And most plants do better planted into the substrate. Sand is ok I think for low to medium plants. Java fern & Anubias grow on something (driftwood, rocks). You could read the stickies in the FW planted section & that will help you get started. Personally, I love planted tanks. Hang in there, soon you ll have a beautiful planted tank for your fish :).

So should I take them out of the plastic? I honestly didn't see what they were called I could go back they just said combo plants and I know one of them is bamboo the only one to be doing ok I don't know what other plant is combined with it.

The bamboo & the variegated should have the leaves out of the water, I m pretty sure. And the pots are prob restricting the roots. Maybe you could lower your water level or use a suction cup to hold them up higher with the roots loose. Need a better pic of the other solid green plant in the middle but from what I can see, I don t recognize it as aquatic. I m no expert, still learning but will try to help ya.

Why would they sell them as aquatic plants then? I'll maybe try the auction cup lowering the water level isn't really an option or my living room will sound like it has a waterfall.

Back
Top Bottom