Something Wrong-- new leaves pale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well it looks like its just unavoidable. In my 10g tank I added some plants from a local pond, I'm pretty sure its Ludwigia. Anyway, the newer leaves, near the top, are a pale/whitish color. I don't have my [sister's] camera because it was left at my grandparents, so I can't take a picture right now, maybe by the end of the week. What do you think could be wrong with it? I'm guessing nutrient deficiency, although its just a 10 gallon tank. I can't really afford fertilizer right now (practically broke) so is there any possible diy remedies for this? Thanks.

It's likely insufficient light or potassium deficiency from the sound of it. What type of lighting do you have over the 10 gallon and are you dosing any fertilizers at the moment?

Honestly i would shoot for light as i am having the same problem but i plan to get rid of the problem when i put them in the 75g.

Well I have 30w, 2 15w CFLS. I'm not dosing anything as I have nothing to dose with. I have the same plant in a 2.5 gallon, although it has 20w of light over it haha. Its growing like a weed and I was hoping I'd be able to grow it at least some in my 10g but I'll probably have to move it to the 2.5.

a pic would help a lot. i have had some that get almost white as it got close to the light.

30 watts using the spiral CFLs over a 10 gallon is really probably only medium low light. A lot of the light is lost due to restrike (light hitting another part of the bulb and not getting into the aquarium) so there's less light than expected. So it is probably insufficient light that is the problem.

Do you have a reflector around the light? You could up the light going into the aquarium by a DIY reflector out of tin foil, it is not good but it is better then nothing.

Yeah thought so. There's kinda a reflector but probably not very good. I'll move it back to the 2.5 and see what happens since I don't have money for a $100+ fixture. Lol

I am having the same problem mostly on my pogostemon helferi. pale and weak new leaves. I have 3wpg on a 10 gal and a very low bioload (I only have 1 fish). From my readings it is a potassium deficiency.

Also, what type of plants are they?

as I've said, Ludwigia, most likely lol. I don't have time to add pictures tonight, but I got my sister's camera back so I'll try to post some tomorrow.

I think it'd depend on the kind of ludwigia, because the stuff I found in my local creek (if it is in fact ludiwigia) doesn't get that much light, but the stuff was all over. Unfortunately, I don't know any way to help either. Sorry!

Here ya go:
img_1099535_0_cbff0f1463690e3657d0979c0f2503ef.jpg

img_1099535_1_8841dd80605798993ec196cf0d3f80d3.jpg

not sure on the kind of ludwigia, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom