Spec V Testing Knowledge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xigtc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Journey into something small to maybe expand upon...Here's my 50g tank that my wife finally let me have.
IMG_9440.jpgIt's been up and running for 6 months I think. Haven't had any huge issues and the algae is at a minimum. So time to push myself and put all of the reading to use.

Any how back to the Spec V. I'm using media from my other tank and a Finnex led and the stock pump. I placed an order with Buce Plants for Ohko Stone, Dwarf hairgrass, Ludwigia Arcuata, & a couple of Buce plants. I have C02 equipment coming unfortunately something happened during shipping and the plants arrived first.

I used some Osmocote on the bottom of the tank covered in a layer of Eco from my other tank and topped it with some UpAqua substrate I had open. So here I am as of this evening.I can't decide where to put the Ludwigia Arcuata IMG_9438.jpg

Oh C02 equipment will consist of Aquatek Mini regulator a glass diffuser and bubble checker. I have a paintball tank from when I use to play.

Any advice is appreciated as well as criticism[emoji106]

Journey into something small to maybe expand upon...Here's my 50g tank that my wife finally let me have.
View attachment 297111It's been up and running for 6 months I think. Haven't had any huge issues and the algae is at a minimum. So time to push myself and put all of the reading to use.

Any how back to the Spec V. I'm using media from my other tank and a Finnex led and the stock pump. I placed an order with Buce Plants for Ohko Stone, Dwarf hairgrass, Ludwigia Arcuata, & a couple of Buce plants. I have C02 equipment coming unfortunately something happened during shipping and the plants arrived first.

I used some Osmocote on the bottom of the tank covered in a layer of Eco from my other tank and topped it with some UpAqua substrate I had open. So here I am as of this evening.I can't decide where to put the Ludwigia Arcuata View attachment 297110

Oh C02 equipment will consist of Aquatek Mini regulator a glass diffuser and bubble checker. I have a paintball tank from when I use to play.

Any advice is appreciated as well as criticism[emoji106]

Looks good ;) your focal point is the tall rock so I'd put the lud to the left of that.

Sounds like you've got the equipment sorted, great idea going with the soil [emoji106]

Looks good ;) your focal point is the tall rock so I'd put the lud to the left of that.

Sounds like you've got the equipment sorted, great idea going with the soil [emoji106]

I was leaning towards the back left for the Ludwigia. Maybe I can get some planted after work. Thanks!

I had time last night so planted 2 stems of Ludwigia and my Arrogant Blue Buce arrived yesterday. C02 has been delayed another day... USPS has served me pretty well but this is ridiculous says it'll all arrive today so fingers crossed. Hopefully the grass will bounce back
IMG_9452.jpg

Thanks! CO2 is in!!! It's set at 1 bps as of now lights are set for 8 hours split up between morning and evening. CO2 comes on and goes off 1 hr before lights on/off. IMG_9453.jpg
IMG_9454.jpg

Once I feel as if I have a good reading from the bubble I'll add 4-5 Tetra I have in my 50g.

I wish I could've set the tank up opposite what it is. The only reason the diffuser isn't ecstatically pleasing. The only reason it's this way Is to hide the tank and cables. I've got a little girl who is adventurous and already intrigued by my tanks. I might see if there's a way to put the diffuser in the box with the pump so it's sucking CO2 right into the pump. I doubt I can find an inline diffuser that would fit into the cramped space.

Checked water levels and wow.. haha looks like a got a busy road ahead. I forgot to put PH in the pic but it was very light blue here's the rest. IMG_9525.jpg

Changed the substrate out to Eco. UpAqua was screwing with the PH plus the CO2 just was keeping it to low. I'm staying on top of water changes and things are leveling out more.IMG_9562.jpg

Long story short I started over. New 5 gal tank. Went with Controsoil Black for the substrate.
IMG_9786.jpg
IMG_9787.jpg

I planted heavily this go around. I did the whole swap a week ago, so it's not new growth yet. Haha I have roots and I've seen 1-2 runners.

Undecided on what I'll keep in this tank. Initially I was thinking Boraras Brigittae or Red Cherry Shrimp. Being I'm considering shrimp I decided I should checked my KH&GH. Test was done using API liquid kit. KH is good but the GH had me puzzled, apparently the water here in Alabama is quite soft. I was skeptical so I did the test 3 times. Twice from the tank and once from the tap. Same results each time.. So I did some reading and asked on another forum and I'm going to use Seachem Equilibrium to get things to better levels.

Shrimp or not it will help my plants and whatever else I might choose for inhabitants.

I also ordered a TDS meter so I can test levels more accurately.

I'm considering getting a Eheim 2211 for this tank. Would it be so called overkill for water flow? If so would it be a bad idea to add a ball valve on the output hose?

Back
Top Bottom