"Spot" algae on Anubias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahelmes71

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My two anubias are growing well, but I've noticed that some of the leaves are speckled with what I am calling "spot" or "dot" algae...looks like lot of green specks like the plants have chicken pox or freckles?

I have a couple of SAE in there who I guess aren't eating this stuff. Is it something I could go after with a syringe and some Flourish Excel for the "direct dosing" I've heard some people recommend for algae?

It doesn't look horrible, but I'm afraid it will continue to take over the surface of all the leaves if unchecked. It only appears to be developing on my anubias at this time.

Thanks,
Andy

You're likely describing GSA or GDA. They are usually caused by low co2 or low phosphate coupled with light. It's pretty common on long lasting, slow growing leaves like anubias.

You're likely describing GSA or GDA. They are usually caused by low co2 or low phosphate coupled with light. It's pretty common on long lasting, slow growing leaves like anubias.

Aquachem, do you think if I use some Seachem Flourish Phosphorous it will help with that? I can buy some online and start dosing it in a couple of days. I'm always a little leery of getting too crazy with the chemical soup in the tank though. My lights are not particularly bright as I'm using the double-bright LEDs...don't think it's an issue of excess light. Maybe low CO2 though.

Back
Top Bottom