Stem plant suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is a good sturdy stem plant with some color?

I had a couple nice bunches of ludwigia pereunsis (sp?) and had to end up cutting all but the tips off and replant...from about 30 stems there are now about 10....they all died off (strange) I suppose it is possible they didn't do too well in shipping but everything else seemed ok. Over a few weeks time they just dropped all their leaves and turned an icky brown color from a vibrant red.

I thought the angel fish were ripping them up but upon inspection of the bottoms of the stems today they looked like they were just slowly rotting away.

All of my rotala stems are doing great, none of the fish are disturbing them.

So now the right side of my 90 gal tank is looking pretty bare and I am looking for some suggestions for a great "sturdy" stem plant with some color.
smile.gif

Tank specs are:
90 gal
4x 65w PC lights (all 4 are 10,000 K bulbs)
CO2 injected
EI dosing
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
ph 7.5
KH 7

Thanks!
Tori

I personally like rotala indica, it has a nice look to it IMO, but with roughly 2.9/wpg with CO2 then I think that you could grow a wide variety of stem plants :)

Perhaps you might want to look at getting some Rotala Rotundifolia 'Colorata'. It colors up much easier than the standard Rotala Rotundifolia.

Ludwigia arcuata is another good one. Bacopa caroliniana is mostly green, but the tips will color up near the light. Alternanthera reineckii might do well....and its red. :)

Back
Top Bottom