stupid question.. how to raise plants??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilveRx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
like those java ferns, fern moss ......
i was wondering do you just by from lfs then stick it in the tank and thats all?? is there a guide somewhere, someone can show me??

thanks

I know that most planted tanks have some sort of substrate other than gravel or sand. Kinda like a sub-substrate. I also know that some planted tanks have some sort of CO2 supplementation. I don't think you can just stick them in and hope for the best.

You might have some more luck with this question in the "Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks" section...

Yep, wrong forum, but I can help ya.

java ferns & java moss are basically foolproof plants. They don't need special substrate becase you don't plant these like normal, and they aren't root feeders. the moss should be attached to driftwood or left to float. The fern will have brown, hairy 'roots' that you can stable to driftwood, or wedge under some rocks. They'll attach to it after a few weeks, but don't bury the part of the fern where the leaves all come together, called the rhizome.
these plants don't need special fertilizers or lighting any stronger than the hood that came with your tank.

o ic sorry not sure which forum to put in heh

so the moss will grow on the driftwood, do i just tie it with a string or something?
also so it will grow automaticly??

thanks

Yes, just tie it on but not to tight with some cotton string or fishing line. It will take a while to attach so be patient.

Might want to start growing it on drift wood, it makes it pretty when you put it in the tank. Yeah, just stuck my plants in the tank and watched them grow, grow, and grow. TOo much growing!
P.S. Flourish Excel is excellent to provide plants with their needed carbon. My plants were brown but later turned nice and green.

:twisted: Ciao

The java fern and also anubius will attache and grow on wood.
Almost fool proof plants

duaumun makes a good pont add excell daily

Back
Top Bottom