Submersed to emersed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JakeVS

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey!

So, I have a planted low light 5g, and one of my java ferns(I believe) is suffering from some light deficiency because it is near the side of the tank and I wanted to do a little experimenting with emersed growth to see if I can bring it back. It isn't dying, just not getting the amount of growth I'm looking for.

Does anyone have some info on the best way to execute this? And the best way to change over to emersed without damaging the plant too much?

The only thing I know about switching to emersed growing is to always have the roots wet, and try to keep a high humidity. There will be some shock because of the switch, but it should be fine. It's what aquatic plants do. Good luck.

You could make a emersed growth tub to grow it in. I use 3 of them to grow plants I want to collect but have no room for in my tanks. For java fern don't bury the rhizome. Maybe place it on a rock or wood and mist it once or twice a day. I personally haven't done java fern yet but I have converted about 40 other species of aquatic plants.

img_1888887_0_e5027565aa5bb2efac3db059d9a5aeb4.jpg

I was planning something similar to that. Do you use soil, or aquarium substrate? Do you cover them? How important do you find temperature of the room? And do you use lighting, or just keep them in the sunlight as in your picture?

I wouldn't think it would be light deficiency. Java ferns are pretty low light plants. I've heard that sometimes they leaves die off when they are put in a new tank?

It has been in the tank for quite a while, and is being shaded by the second one I bought at the same time which is now about 3 times as big as the small one. So nutrients shouldn't be the issue either. Which is what led me to believe it is a light issue.

The first picture shows the large one, which has obviously outgrown the tank(and will likely be moved to a friends 30g). The second picture is the small one that is still quite healthy, but has never grown to more than about 7 inches tall.

Attachments

• image-2441027068.jpg
    image-2441027068.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 88
  • image-605211238.jpg
    image-605211238.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 78
It's definitely not a java fern. Looks like a type of sword or anubis. I'm looking to see if I can find it now. I've seen it before and the name is escaping me.

Looks pretty similar, just checked one of my other posts and the people replying there believe it is a sword. The leaves look a lot thiner than on that anubias, and are a lighter green.

You have Amazon Swords IMHO. They are heavy root feeders. Buy or make root tabs and get the big one moved.

It's roots might also be having a hard time in the corner. Consider moving it.

Sounds good, the large one will be moved to a friends 30g sometime this week. And the smaller one will take its place, any of you have any good ideas for a plant that may do well in a somewhat shaded corner? Would like something new to experiment with, so something other than crypts would be nice too.

JakeVS said:
Sounds good, the large one will be moved to a friends 30g sometime this week. And the smaller one will take its place, any of you have any good ideas for a plant that may do well in a somewhat shaded corner? Would like something new to experiment with, so something other than crypts would be nice too.

Java fern or Anubis are low light

Sounds good! Time to start the research. I'm also considering upgrading the lighting anyway, so there may be more options at that point too... Just need to wait for the student loan to come.

I was planning something similar to that. Do you use soil, or aquarium substrate? Do you cover them? How important do you find temperature of the room? And do you use lighting, or just keep them in the sunlight as in your picture?

I used the cheap topsoil from walmart, nothing special. I keep them covered with the original lids that have a large section cut out and replaced with plexiglass. Room temp hasn't went lower than 60s. They are actually not in the sun in that pic. That's a pair of 4' shoplights on the right that I use for lighting them. However in the summer they are outside in indirect light.

For a "how to" read here Beginner's Guide to starting your first Emersed setup!! - Plant Physiology & Emersed Culture - Aquatic Plant Central

Awesome! thanks for the link, very useful place to start. time to do more research on specific plants, hopefully will have the setup ready within a week. going to use my 20g tall as the tub, 24" 48watt 2 bulb t5ho fixture that fits it for lighting. and i have a small rubbermaid tub that fits it perfectly. moved the large sword to my sisters fiance's tank today, so mine is looking a bit messy right now. but hopefully i will see more growth from my other plants, and when i have time tomorrow i will get it all arranged the way i want it.

do you find you see any difference in the amount of growth, or propogation with emersed growth? im hoping to use it to speed up the process of carpeting my tank with micro sword, and then when in move into a bigger place, use emersed growth to supply my 20g with a full set of plants.

I haven't noticed any faster growth with the exception of a few plants like glosso, bacopa, hygros. Others may have different results than me though.

Back
Top Bottom