Substrate Varieties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can anyone explain the differenencs between Flourite, Flourite Red, and Eco-Complete? Also, why would someone choose one over the other?

Thanks, Brian

well, Flourite is basically a porous clay substrate rich in iron, so it eliminates the need for laterite supplementation in planted tanks. As far as i know, the only difference between flourite and flourite red is color, although i could be wrong.

Eco-Complete is a substrate that's packed in Liquid Amazon buffered "Black Water" solution for immediate organic water conditioning and needs no rinsing. It contains all mineral nutrients needed for luxuriant aquatic plant growth. Also, includes live heterotrophic bacteria to rapidly convert fish waste into natural food for your plants.

IMO, I think the eco-complete is a step above flourite. I used it myself and couldn't be happier! I think it's really just a matter of personal preference.

:D

Hi Eykis. Thanks so much for responding. One last question!!!!
Can I buy the Eco-Complete on line, and if so, where?

Brian :lol:

Drs. Foster & Smith has it, I'm sure others do too. You may want to consider this though, all substratesare really heavy and the companies that ship it have to charge extra. With shipping you may pay more for it online than you would at the lfs.

The prob is, the local lfs stock 1 or 2 bags of flourite. I've yet to see Eco-Complete anywhere. Bigalsonline sells the flourite for 10.99 a bag compared to 22.99 at the lfs. I realize the freight will be high, but not as much as $11 a bag.

And.......I'm doing this for a 125gal, so I'll need a few bags.

Thanks for the input corvuscorax. I'm on my way to Drs Foster and Smith.

Ouch, that is a large amount needed for a 125, I put 2 bags of flourite red in my 33 :D
You will be spending a lot of time washing the flourite, it is nasty stuff to get the dust out. Flourite red is even worse :D :D

Well, I just ordered the Eco-Complete from Drs Foster & Smith. A 20lb bag is $17.99 + $4.50 for shipping. That's really not too bad considering BigAls is selling the Flourite at $10.99 for a 7lb bag.

Now to find some low light plants on line. Any suggestions :lol: ?

Brian in NY

BrianNY,

Hmm.... maybe you should have paid more attention the the Big Al's site. Flourite comes in 7 kilo bags. That's 15 lbs each.

Ouch Rex!!!!!!! You are so right. But I want to try the Eco-Complete anyway.
Thanks.
Brian :roll: :oops:

i have flourite in 2 tanks and eco-complete in 1, I love the eco-complete--the flourite is too messy, and i think the plants look better with the eco-complete, im getting ready-in the next 6 months to do a 90 gallon in eco-complete.===== also i have my lfs order the eco-complete for me so i dont have to pay the shipping, i paid $15.00 a bag., :D

Hi Karen,

$15.00 a bag seems like a steal. I'd love to see some pics of your tank with the Eco_Complete. Are you running a low light or high tech set -up?

Brian :D

im a planted aquarium beginner, learning from reading and asking questions on forums-so not high tech-- no co2 system- i use flourish products, i have been researching co2,right now i think i like the co2 reactor 1000 if anyone has comments on it. i dont have anyway to take pictures and put them on here right now. i have learned to buy alot of things from the online stores-cheaper, Yes on the eco-complete price- i thought it was a good deal, i think it was $17.50 online plus having to pay the extra shipping. i use aquaclear filters but i am getting a 90 gallon aquarium soon and i have been researching cannister filters to use on it, im still not sure which are better on the cannisters. thanks for the response brian. :D

i havent tried growing the hard to grow plants yet, i will try those when i have co2. i have java fern attached to african root, baby tears, banana plant,dwarf sag,amazon swords,wendtii crypts,wisteria,

Hehe. Those Canadian (and for that matter, everyone else's) *standarized* measurements confuse us backwards Americans!

Yeah, Bigals.com generally has the best prices for everything.

Cannister Filter for a 90 gal planted tank: I bought the eheim 2217 from bigalsonline for just under $100. The advantage to this filter is the spray bar. Less surface agitation than most of the others I believe.

I bought the eheim 2217 from bigalsonline for just under $100. The advantage to this filter is the spray bar. Less surface agitation than most of the others I believe.

Same thing I have on my 90. Love it! You won't be sorry.

i need something that doesnt disturb the water much- thats a good price, i havent bought anything at big al's yet--i usually buy from fosters and smith- there it is $135.99---i was looking at the fluval but again i dont know much about cannisters :fadein:

I'm running Fluvals on my 29 and 55. The eheim is on the 125. IMO there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Fluval: Cost is around 85 at big als. It is self priming (a great feature). It is a snap to clean or change media.

Eheim: Cost $99. It is a pain to set up and break down but..... Eheim makes so many attachments. Spray bar, prefilters, etc. Plus they've always been reliable for me.

I also use a diatom filter weekly. I just love the polished water look.

just today I paid $35- for a 40lb box of eco-complete. I have another box on order for saturday...the package has 2 20lb bags per box...I didn't think $35- was bad.

Thanks for all of your help too...I lurk and read old posts and you always seem to have the answers for me :D

Back
Top Bottom