Spotted Raphael Catfish eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TylerH

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I'm new here. I have a 3" female who seemed to lay eggs under the CaribSea Eco-Complete substrate. It looks like she burrowed a hole and then is sitting ontop of them, there are quite a few. Can I introduce a male and see if they get fertilized, or am I too late? Thanks, Tyler

Attachments

• IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 74
Hi Tyler and welcome to the forum :)

I don't think the fish will be sexually mature at 3 inches long and the white things under the substrate appear to be very small, a bit too small for catfish eggs. As to what the white dots are, that's a good question.

Do you add any plant fertilisers that go under the substrate?

Is the substrate just plain gravel or a special plant substrate?

Regarding adding a male, fish eggs need to be fertilised within a few seconds of being laid. After about 10 seconds, the eggs seal up so to speak and sperm can no longer penetrate the egg. So adding a male now won't make any difference, and that is assuming they are eggs.

Hello,
I'm new here. I have a 3" female who seemed to lay eggs under the CaribSea Eco-Complete substrate. It looks like she burrowed a hole and then is sitting ontop of them, there are quite a few. Can I introduce a male and see if they get fertilized, or am I too late? Thanks, Tyler

Hi and welcome. :flowers:
I'd be very surprised if these are actually Raphael eggs since there are very few reports of these fish breeding in aquariums ( https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=313 ) and according to planet catfish, the eggs are laid in bubble nests or on top of vegetation. Plecos use holes or caves for spawning but their eggs are usually in a jelly mass.

As Colin said, in order for the eggs to be fertilized, they need to be fertilized within a short time of being laid so on the outside chance that we are all wrong about what they are ;) , it's too late for these to be fertilized. :(

Back
Top Bottom