swapping tap to ro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiger terror

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking for advice for switching an established tank (20g tall)w/plants&livestock from tap to ro...my guy at the lfs suggested 4 weekly 5g temp matched wc's with ro..is this the safest way to go about this?

For my fish & I'd like different options when it comes to plants...current ph is 8.0,I recently acquired a gbr pair&would like to handle some of the more delicate plants..I have 2 other 100% ro tanks which I use seachem's replenish&prime with already....so no stranger to the process...just would like to know if there are any risks associated with the change over...the tank is very well established(13 months) as well..any advice would be appreciated...thanks

There is no risk as long as you do it slowly. In the beginning it took about 6 weeks to do the RO change in the 220g. Your rams will appreciate the softer water.

There is no risk as long as you do it slowly. In the beginning it took about 6 weeks to do the RO change in the 220g. Your rams will appreciate the softer water.

Thanks Janis for chiming in,wondering if the 5g's a week is enough or should I go with more?

Also wondering what if any dwarf plant species I can keep after the swap,ideas? Tank is lit by a dual t5 ho with 1 6700k&1 colormax...also dose dry ferts using pps pro method..

Also wondering what if any dwarf plant species I can keep after the swap,ideas? Tank is lit by a dual t5 ho with 1 6700k&1 colormax...also dose dry ferts using pps pro method..

Are you adding CO2 or Excel ?

I'm sure you can find some smaller plants that will grow for you. Crypt parva, etc...
I love Crypts so they are always a go to for me.

I forgot the size of your tank :sorry:. Refresh my memory. Are you looking for a carpet or just some smaller growing plants?

Dwarf Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis), Pogostemon helferi (my favorite), and as mentioned Crypt Parva. But you can use most stem plants and keep them trimmed low too. I do that alot. We need to PM talk about the swap as my daughter is on vacation mid April.

A lill update: did a 5g wc last nite using reconstituted ro...the rams almost immediately began cleaning spawn sites&a new found attitude is being exhibited towards my hand when I enter the tank...Attack Attack Attack! Mainly directed towards me leaving the other inhabitants alone...

Completed the swap & now at 100% reconstituted ro...did this comfortably in a week's time with no adverse effects on the live stock...

Back
Top Bottom