Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-27-2021, 10:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 7
Switch from UGF to HOB

Hi All! New here because I have a Question I can't find an answer to... I have a pump driven UGF that sits in the middle of a 5 gallon. Heavily planted and doing well. I have Contasoil in one and gravel in the other. I keep CPDs and Cherry Shrimp.
I want to turn off and remove the UGF pump and leave the bottom plate and replace with a small HOB or internal filter.
Will this kill my gravel bacteria? Cause an ammonia spike? Is there a safe/safer way to do this? Thanks All!
__________________

__________________
Celestial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
charliebankston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Texas Gulf coast
Posts: 2,016
Just curious, why are you wanting to switch?
__________________

__________________
charliebankston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 7
The pump housing is large and in the center of the tank. It takes up alot of space that I could plant etc. Not sure if the pic shows

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...1&d=1614444370
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	319971  
__________________
Celestial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 7
The pump housing is right in the center of the tank. I'd like to plant that area etc.
__________________
Celestial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebankston View Post
Just curious, why are you wanting to switch?
Yeah, I agree. An under gravel filter with a power head (not air) is a superior filter that never needs cleaning. Can you move the plumbing to another area?
__________________
fishwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 7
Unfortunatly not. Trying to find an answer
__________________
Celestial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
Unfortunatly not. Trying to find an answer
OK. First if you just remove and cap the UG filter, you will always have build up of food and waste underneath. This is not good and will cause problems with water quality all the time. It would be best to totally remove the UG filter so this does not occur.

With that said, what would be the best course of action? This is what I would do. Put fish in a bucket with and air stone temporarily, an hour or so. Remove the UG filter. Your gravel with a UG filter has a lot of your good bacteria in it since you had fast moving water through that gravel, so you want to get that bacteria to your new filter media.

Put in your new filter with good media, like 20 ppi sponge or just fill it full of as many simple plastic pot scrubbies as it will hold. Turn it on. Now, really the best thing is to just stir up your gravel so all the good bacteria is in the water column now and your new filter will suck it up and deposit all that bacteria on your new filter media. If you want, you can also help by putting some of that gravel in a mesh bag and put it in your new filter also. Put fish back in when water clears in about and hour or two.

@charliebankston any thing to add/change?
__________________
fishwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 7
Thank you Sir. Does running both for awhile help the new hob get started better? Add gravel to hob while doing this?
__________________
Celestial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
Thank you Sir. Does running both for awhile help the new hob get started better? Add gravel to hob while doing this?
Yes, actually if you fire up your new filter with good media and stir up the gravel, you are on your way. Don't think the fish will mind.
__________________
fishwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
charliebankston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Texas Gulf coast
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwonder View Post
OK. First if you just remove and cap the UG filter, you will always have build up of food and waste underneath. This is not good and will cause problems with water quality all the time. It would be best to totally remove the UG filter so this does not occur.

With that said, what would be the best course of action? This is what I would do. Put fish in a bucket with and air stone temporarily, an hour or so. Remove the UG filter. Your gravel with a UG filter has a lot of your good bacteria in it since you had fast moving water through that gravel, so you want to get that bacteria to your new filter media.

Put in your new filter with good media, like 20 ppi sponge or just fill it full of as many simple plastic pot scrubbies as it will hold. Turn it on. Now, really the best thing is to just stir up your gravel so all the good bacteria is in the water column now and your new filter will suck it up and deposit all that bacteria on your new filter media. If you want, you can also help by putting some of that gravel in a mesh bag and put it in your new filter also. Put fish back in when water clears in about and hour or two.

@charliebankston any thing to add/change?
No, that's what I'd do too, short of continuing to use the ug
__________________
charliebankston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
charliebankston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Texas Gulf coast
Posts: 2,016
The new hob won't ever prob have the bio capability that your ug has tho, just fyi to keep an eye on
__________________
charliebankston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebankston View Post
The new hob won't ever prob have the bio capability that your ug has tho, just fyi to keep an eye on
Hence the media change up...

BTW I found out the @ sign does nothing on this forum.
__________________
fishwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
charliebankston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Texas Gulf coast
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwonder View Post
Hence the media change up...

BTW I found out the @ sign does nothing on this forum.
Haha! No, I got notification that you had mentioned me in a post
__________________
charliebankston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:24 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebankston View Post
Haha! No, I got notification that you had mentioned me in a post
Really? I think it's because you subscribe to the post only, or have posted.
__________________
fishwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 7
Thank you gents!
__________________
Celestial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
charliebankston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Texas Gulf coast
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwonder View Post
Really? I think it's because you subscribe to the post only, or have posted.
Oh, maybe so. I think it's cuz biden said I'm vip
__________________
charliebankston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:18 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwonder View Post
Yeah, I agree. An under gravel filter with a power head (not air) is a superior filter that never needs cleaning. Can you move the plumbing to another area?

Why do you think this? Please donít link me to aquarium science.
__________________
Caliban07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:20 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,914
I would use air. Remove the internal pump then plant in that space. Itís such a simple and obvious switch up.
__________________
Caliban07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:38 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
Why do you think this? Please don’t link me to aquarium science.
Pretty simple. Not enough air flow to pull a lot water through the gravel. You need fast water movement through your media for bacteria to grow. That's why a power head for more water movement is better. Simple.
__________________
fishwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:51 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 7
So is the now lack of flow over the substrate going to cause a bacteria die off thus an ammonia spike?
__________________

__________________
Celestial is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hob, ugf

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To switch or not to switch Chels10117 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 4 07-27-2015 05:41 PM
UGF or no UGF KLehman72 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 27 04-04-2011 11:11 PM
ugf or not to ugf electrikat Saltwater Reef Aquaria 7 09-12-2004 09:07 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.