Tahitian Moon Sand???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D_Tristan22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have gravel and I'm really interested in switching to the black sand. Was wondering though if it's safe and soft enough to add it to an aquarium because I heard of a fish dying for accidentally swallowing a 2mm pebble of the sand.

Thank you in advance :)

Regular sand is fine, but I read the same article you did about a fish dying after eating a huge clump of Tahitian sand. The article's pictures looked more like gravel than sand, honestly. You can get regular black sand from most pet stores, with no clumps, which is totally safe for fish. :)

It's safe... Most fish aren't that dumb. Gravel is actually less safe because fish can choke on it. This mostly happens with gold fish.

my planted tank is using flourish black, i like it.
no planted tank, maybe gravel batter, easy to vacuum gravel than sand i think.
local fish store mostly use gravel

My tank is planted, the sand anchors them better, sand is better for some fish like cories and loaches, an in my opinion easier to clean than gravel, all the gunk just stays on top of the sand and you just suck it right up
I would never regret changing from gravel to sand, sand all the way

I have Tahitian Moon sand in one tank and when it was on sale Boxing Day, I got enough to do one of my main tanks. The other one will be redone in Flourite Black sand. The tank that has Moon sand now grows the best plants of all my tanks, and the pygmy cories seem to like it a lot. I have loaches also and the sand will be better for them than the gravel I have now, even though it's relatively fine. Loaches like to dig, so sand is better for them. And I love the way it looks. Not hard to keep clean, just gentle siphon now and then to pick up the poop and dead leaves.

Sand is a pain in the butt because it shows all the crap. Gravel hides it much better. But for fish options and plants sand is much better.

Awh.. But will it make a difference with the black sand over the white?

I was also looking at the coral sand and found that there are different colors to it?
Does anyone have experience to that one?
Also do you know what other colors there is?

Awh.. But will it make a difference with the black sand over the white?

I was also looking at the coral sand and found that there are different colors to it?
Does anyone have experience to that one?
Also do you know what other colors there is?

Coral Sand ? Sounds like that would be for Saltwater or African Cichlids.

I love my TMS. Looks really nice, my plants grow great. Easy to plant in and my fish can find any food that falls.

Layering sand is tricky. May work or they may mix over time. CaribSea makes a white sand. I prefer black.

To save money, one of my tanks is TMS over Black Diamond blasting sand.

Why not go black Eco Compete? It's not quite gravel or sand, somewhere in the middle, but is an attractive substrate that's great for plants. Also, there's a "fine grade" option if you want it to look closer to sand. It has a high CEC which makes this substrate more ideal than typical gravel and sand.

I used eco complete and saw no difference in growth or health of my plants. It was just over priced sand/gravel. I would stick with cheaper stuff.

I used eco complete and saw no difference in growth or health of my plants. It was just over priced sand/gravel. I would stick with cheaper stuff.

Research CEC ( Cation Exchange Capacity). Plants don't hold and root well in gravel. Sand is inert. Eco Compete is not just overpriced sand/gravel. Care to share the planted setups you have (links, pictures, details, etc.)?

Guess my experience is different than yours. I've noticed a better improvement in plant growth (when going beyond low light tolerant "beginner" plants) and didn't find difficulty in getting more demanding carpeting plants to fill in nicely.

Coursair,

What do you mean by it being difficult to layer.

Does the sand later get ugly and out if place?

The only thing I would say is if you have larger fish they will move it around

They will, but it won't make the water cloudy or anything, my bosemani's do it all the time and it's not bad

Back
Top Bottom