The Planted Discus Tank Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meese-a-mew

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is just a thread that I will keep posting on of my planted discus tank! I am a beginner at discus and most people said do BB tank but I prefer the planted tank look and I couldn't get a new tank so here is a thread of my tank! Also maybe other people thinking of doing a planted discus tank but are discouraged by others can look at this too and see if its
do-able for them.
-------------------------------------------
Tank stock:
-4 German Blue Rams
-8 Neon Tetras
-1 Pigeon Blood Discus
-2 Blue Turq Discus
-1 BNP
-3 Oto cats
-1 SAE
Co2 Injected
Flourish Comprehensive Weekly
Osmocote plus root tabs
Feeding a mixture of:

Homemade frozen beefheart
NLS Small fish pellets
Tetra color granules
Blackworms
Water change Schedule:
1x 50% Sunday or Saturday
2-3x 20% On weekdays
Will Post pictures soon!
Thanks for looking!

Meese

How big is the tank? I've been wanting to do something like this but I'm afraid of keeping discus. Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here are some pics of the full tank!
It's 30 gallons so a bit small but they are only 3.5 inches atm and still have some good swimming space! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416279422.889985.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416279467.424320.jpg

Meese

Are you planning on upgrading? Looks stunning though!

Some Pics of just the fish together! The pigeon blood has gotten a bit more peppering because I have a black background and black gravel.
img_3094103_0_c6344e04cc333cc5059f067133c1f1e9.jpg

QhLmqi.jpg

Are you planning on upgrading? Looks stunning though!

Sure planning on it! Only if my mom lets me though lol. Right now we have 5 tanks running in the house so it might take a bit of convincing:lol:

I know what you mean my parents are the same, although I think my argument for why I need a 60 gallon discus tank in my room is pretty convincing. Any special care you give for them because they are in a planted tank?

I know what you mean my parents are the same, although I think my argument for why I need a 60 gallon discus tank in my room is pretty convincing. Any special care you give for them because they are in a planted tank?

I may or may not be getting the wrong idea with the planted tank and stuff but my theory is that since the plants take in so many nutrients and stuff from the extra food and stuff I don't do as many water changes, as in not the 90% a day sort of thing. I still do twice the amount of changes that I usually do though so I guess that is special lol. And I hand feed the beefheart which is always cool.

Meese

Well seems like that's manageable. Looks great again and thanks for the pointers!

I really wanted to pass through but I can't help myself.. those rams looked stressed, pretty sure the discus are stressed based on all those vertical bars. What temp you at? Nitrates? Seeing a ton of algae on the substrate. I'd really hate to see that stock wiped out in a month. beautiful fish. You'll need a ton more water changes to pull this off, doubt full but hopeful for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I really wanted to pass through but I can't help myself.. those rams looked stressed, pretty sure the discus are stressed based on all those vertical bars. What temp you at? Nitrates? Seeing a ton of algae on the substrate. I'd really hate to see that stock wiped out in a month. beautiful fish. You'll need a ton more water changes to pull this off, doubt full but hopeful for you.

I have actually been wondering about the algae because my ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are all 0ppm and it's just keeps coming back. I've maybe been wondering if light schedule is too long (10 hours)?
I do agree with the discus being stressed but they usually only get the vertical bars when I take pics of them. Guess they're camera shy lol.
I don't agree with rams being stressed though. Temp is 85.

Meese

Definitely reduce your photo-period down to 6hrs,should help with the algae..also you should have some nitrates,when you use test do you use test strips or liquid?

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

Definitely reduce your photo-period down to 6hrs,should help with the algae..also you should have some nitrates,when you use test do you use test strips or liquid?

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

I use the API masters test kit (liquid)

Meese

I'd be very concerned about that stock in that small of a tank. Discus reach dinner plate size. I'd get at least a 55

I'm glad you said something. I felt like I've done enough lecturing this month to the young adults about buying the fish before mom & dad agree to the necessary tank size. Seems it's a weekly occurrence and then eventually we hear back that mom says no ...

The plants don't take up all the wastes the discus put off. I've been researching this extensively myself and haven't seen any instances of plants significantly reducing water changes for growing discus. You need to control TDS and look more into growth inhibiting hormone.

I agree the rams look stressed.

Any chance of swapping which fish are in which tanks in your house, to improve the conditions for the discus?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I've tried many times to offer help and advice by posting links to a species only site, but it apparently falls on deaf ears a lot. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make em drink it, if ya know what I mean.

In my first experience of 2-3 years tryin to do it my way, i failed miserably. I finally succumbed to the guidings and teachings of others that were more fluent and have spent the last 7-8 years improving and perfecting the skills I've learned. I follow a strict standard of husbandry to include WC's, feeding, and (what I see as most important) QT.

I stick my hands in the tank and they allow me to pet them, when I move them from QT, I scoop them up in one hand and they lay flat. They watch tv with my girl and I and thoroughly enjoy our presence (including watching my 2, 100 pound Shepherds) when in the same room. 3/5 are now 6.5"+ and the 2 that are not are the most recent additions which are both over 5" and original purchase size was 3.5" in late July-early August.

I'm not trying to be rude, so don't take it as that. I'm just spitting out facts from ten years of experience. Don't compensate water changes for having plants. It means absolutely zero to their health. Find a thread from severum mama and see what hers look like. She did them before, is doing them again, and has made changes from then to now. Her work with them is the way it should be and the proof is in her photos.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Back
Top Bottom