The Planted Discus Tank Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Treeman or brookster, is it possible to keep any discus in a 30 with strict wc ? say 3/4 alone, without schooling fish. Not my plan, but i'm curious how that turn out would be.

No, I am the wrong person to ask though.. i keep heavily planted tanks with dwarf cichlids, 30 long being the largest. If I were to attempt discus? It'd be a 75 gal with potted plants..
Edit- notice how meese.. has.. ermmmm.. not posted in quite some time..
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Treeman or brookster, is it possible to keep any discus in a 30 with strict wc ? say 3/4 alone, without schooling fish. Not my plan, but i'm curious how that turn out would be.

The only time I would consider that "safe" would be for growout purposes. It would be better to have 4-6 in a 30g grown out to 2-2.5" and then into a 40 but once they reach 4" to drop it to 4 fish. I've done 2 Discus for 8 weeks in a 20 for QT/growout but that was for new arrivals at 4" and grew them to 5.5".

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

No, I am the wrong person to ask though.. i keep heavily planted tanks with dwarf cichlids, 30 long being the largest. If I were to attempt discus? It'd be a 75 gal with potted plants..
Edit- notice how meese.. has.. ermmmm.. not posted in quite some time..

Lol brookster why must you always come on to my threads, the discus are perfectly fine at the moment, algae problems are gone. Some people could have other things to do then hmmm let me think, flame at people on their threads. I don't know about you but school may or may not be important, maybe work could be important, vacations? I don't know about you but those all seem like valid reasons to not post. Like I said on my old thread, if you don't have good positive info or mood then you do not have to post on my threads.

Edit: Surpassed your 1 month prediction, maybe your not such a superb predictor as you think you are.

Meese

Lol brookster why must you always come on to my threads, the discus are perfectly fine at the moment, algae problems are gone. Some people could have other things to do then hmmm let me think, flame at people on their threads. I don't know about you but school may or may not be important, maybe work could be important, vacations? I don't know about you but those all seem like valid reasons to not post. Like I said on my old thread, if you don't have good positive info or mood then you do not have to post on my threads.

Edit: Surpassed your 1 month prediction, maybe your not such a superb predictor as you think you are.

Meese

Wowzers.. someone's sensitive this morning.. A - I was personally addressed, B- that was hardly a flame. As your thread title includes "journal"..an update here and there would seem fitting..no? Oh yes.. and... pics or it didn't happen:p
Ps- I am an excellent multi tasker.

Last edited:
These people are just trying to help you Meese. I will say that your Discus will not have a long lifespan if they remain in this tank. Discus are expensive fish, and it would be a waste of your money if they were to die. If you can't upgrade your tank size soon, it might be your best option to try to sell these fish back to the pet store; you could even put an ad in the paper (maybe there is a fishkeeper in your area that would want them that has a nice home for them).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

These people are just trying to help you Meese. I will say that your Discus will not have a long lifespan if they remain in this tank. Discus are expensive fish, and it would be a waste of your money if they were to die. If you can't upgrade your tank size soon, it might be your best option to try to sell these fish back to the pet store; you could even put an ad in the paper (maybe there is a fishkeeper in your area that would want them that has a nice home for them).

You don't understand what brookster does to any thread I start.

Wowzers.. someone's sensitive this morning.. A - I was personally addressed, B- that was hardly a flame. As your thread title includes "journal"..an update here and there would seem fitting..no? Oh yes.. and... pics or it didn't happen:p
Ps- I am an excellent multi tasker.

The implying was strong in that post. Please just stay off of my topics.

Meese

You don't understand what brookster does to any thread I start.

The implying was strong in that post. Please just stay off of my topics.

Meese

Brookster, like many others here, is looking out for the creatures in our care. If this was a dog forum and someone came in saying they kept German Shepherds in a crate all the time and never walked them, we'd berate them and they'd probably change their methods. But here a lot of the time it's like we are battling over people's honor. You are not going to be a "lesser" person here at AA if you change your fish keeping ways. But for many people that recently joined, it's like they feel we are purposely here to argue. We aren't. Just like any other pet forum, we are here for the welfare of our fish and we aren't trying to offend- just save finned lives. Those discus are great fish and very pretty but they NEED a bigger tank. We had this discussion, what, a month ago or so with another member who basically cussed us out and told me (BTW I'm a high school freshman) that obviously I must be in Alcoholics Anonymous, not Aquarium Advice. We are trying not to take it that far anymore. Discus, as I said earlier, reach dinner plate size. If PROPERLY cared for. A 30 is not proper. You really need to get a bigger tank ASAP if you want them to grow. Trust me on this, Brookster has been pretty harsh on my lighting choices ( ;) ) but he was right. He's right here too. Also, if it really bothers you that brookster is helping, just be the big kid and walk away. (Sorry brookster!) That way we don't all have to hear about what who did for the twentieth time when the whole forum starts fighting on this thread. Except for the salties of course, they'd NEVER stoop so low as to talk to freshies. :)

Edit- also, what does he do that is just so awfully terrible?

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Sorry, if I have a thing for discus, maybe it's their iconic status in this hobby.. it's like the neighbor that takes out a 2nd mortgage to buy a Porsche.. living in that Porsche next year. Meese.. we were buddies in your gbr thread?!? I just looked;) I'd throw tough love at someone bragging about a betta in a bowl too. No favoritism from me here.. don't take it personally, technically I don't even exist in this forum..

I still want to see and updated pic! Are they dwarf rams?

Back
Top Bottom