thinkin of switching to planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2manyFish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gallon and lately ive really been thinkin about switching it over planted. Ive never had plants and am not sure wat I need. Plz help with some ideas and wat ill need

1 decide what kind of plants you want ie high medium or low lighting and what kind of fish are compatible
2 get a light that meets the plants requirements
3 decide (if needed what co2 you want ie diy, pressurized or a suppliment)
4 pick what you wanna do for ferts remember the more light you have the more your plants need co2 and ferts
5 then have fun

I have a 55 gallon and lately ive really been thinkin about switching it over planted. Ive never had plants and am not sure wat I need. Plz help with some ideas and wat ill need

What type of light do you have on your 55?

1 decide what kind of plants you want ie high medium or low lighting and what kind of fish are compatible
2 get a light that meets the plants requirements
3 decide (if needed what co2 you want ie diy, pressurized or a suppliment)
4 pick what you wanna do for ferts remember the more light you have the more your plants need co2 and ferts
5 then have fun

+1 this sums it up... once these criteria had been established, it will be a lot easier for us to make recommendations.

Going live planted is one if the best moves you can do in a freshwater tank.. I can't believe I used to think fake plants was cool...lol

+1 this sums it up... once these criteria had been established, it will be a lot easier for us to make recommendations.

Going live planted is one if the best moves you can do in a freshwater tank.. I can't believe I used to think fake plants was cool...lol

Yes it is very rewarding I just wish african cichlids where plant friendly.

I have an aqueon led light. And as far as plants i have no idea. Im not sure how my light would be for plants. And id like to keep my sand sunbstrate

Im new to plants and honestly dont know where to start

I have an aqueon led light. And as far as plants i have no idea. Im not sure how my light would be for plants. And id like to keep my sand sunbstrate

What kind of plants interest you? Low light medium or high light plants?

I wanna keep the light I have so watever plants it can handle. I wanna keep it kinda like this just with real plants

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130717_223316.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130717_223316.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 58
I wanna keep the light I have so watever plants it can handle. I wanna keep it kinda like this just with real plants

Okay, you'll wanna try some amazon swords, java moss and java fern. Thats your best bet. They all grow really nice and big. No co2 needed

Wat about plants with leaves? Wat kind of them could I get?

That list helps a lot thanks. Wat about caring for most of these plants and r they ok in sand? Id like to not have to add co2 but will if needed. And do they need special additives or anything?

That list helps a lot thanks. Wat about caring for most of these plants and r they ok in sand? Id like to not have to add co2 but will if needed. And do they need special additives or anything?

Sand is perfect. They dont need anything else. You can add root tabs if you want

Exactly what light do you have and how far is it from the top of the substrate. Most low light plants don't need much. It all depends on what kind of plants you get. If you get into it the first thing you will need is an accurate nitrate and phosphate reagent (drop test). Yes they will do just fine in sand. For low light stems all you should need is fish waste mabey seachem flourish comprehensive and leaf zone once a week you won't need co2 but using glut or excel will help. For root feeders just a good quality root tab every few months (more or less time inbetween depending on growth).

This might help

Low light: no co2 needed but can help, don't need much for ferts depending on your stock and fauna just fish waste might be enough

Med light: co2 or suppliment may be needed, dependingon stock you will need light ferts

High Light: co2 or suppliment and ferts needed

Thanks for all the advise and hopefully be switchibg a lot this weekend

One more thing. Is it ok to start with a lot at once or should I do little by little?

Back
Top Bottom