Tiny spores growing on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

damman6

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a strange fungus or algae, that looks like a spore, growing on all glass, structure, and leaf surfaces in my tank. There are tons of them so I'd like to identify them then kill em. Sorry they are too small to capture on my camera.

I'll try to desccribe them. Each peice, or unit, or plant, whatever it may be is only about a millimeter long. It is colorless or slightly white. It looks like a spore, a dandylion seed, a tiny parachute, or a tiny umbrella that has been blow inside-out. The top section, of the parachute or umbrella, flows with the water current while the base it attached to the surface.

Any ideas what this may be?

I've spent hours searching but can't find a possitive match anywhere online.

Like a hydra?

img1330jo4.jpg

Last edited:
I've noticed those on my glass a time or two as well. I clean them off with my scraper but they just kind of come and go. Have no idea either. Maybe someone can lend some advice. I'm gonna see what "hydra" is.

I have read about Hydra but dont think that's it. From what I've read they are usually a centimeter or so in size.
What I have are so tiny.
Mohican it sounds like a very similar situation.

I read about hydra and those things are wicked. I hope its not it. I just noticed a couple in my tank this evening. They only hang on the glass near the bottom toward gravel. I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom