Too overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshenanagins

Aquarium Advice Addict
1 Rainbow Shark, 2 clown loaches, 2 GBRs, 5 corys, 7 neons, 8 plattys. I know clowns get big and I will move them when necessary as they are only 2 inches long so don't harass me about the clowns lol. I want to add a pair of gold rams as well. I have a 40 gallon breeder planted and is well cycled. Since I am on top of maintenance would I be okay adding the Golds?

Honestly IMO it's not a good idea. As rams mature, especially pairs, they become more aggressive and territorial. When you add a 2nd pair to that size tank you can have some serious issues. I have 2 pairs in a 100% planted 220g and I still have some serious aggression issues between pairs off and on. Plus you already have rams, cories, and loaches so that is a pretty full bottom dwelling list for a tank that size.

I tried to do two pairs of rams in my planted 75, I thought that if I got two different color types they'd have a better chance of living together, I was wrong. I have plenty if hiding spots and broke their lines of sight but they hated each other, now I only have a single pair of GBRs. Just sharing my experience. I wouldn't suggest if for your tank

Honestly IMO it's not a good idea. As rams mature, especially pairs, they become more aggressive and territorial. When you add a 2nd pair to that size tank you can have some serious issues. I have 2 pairs in a 100% planted 220g and I still have some serious aggression issues between pairs off and on. Plus you already have rams, cories, and loaches so that is a pretty full bottom dwelling list for a tank that size.

Bummer. Funny thing is my loaches tend to explore the upper realms of my tank much more than the bottom. They like to cuddle on the driftwood. I think my shark does a good job of establishing the pecking order because my ram will tend to bully A
a tetra or loach here and there but for the most part he's more show than bite. I might just see if it pans out and sell them to a friend if it gets too stressful

Back
Top Bottom