Am I overstocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jsundrud

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon cycled tank with a canister filter. Here's what's in my tank now:
5 neon tetras (all about 1.5" big)

2 clown loaches (both are around 2.5")

2 BN plecos (both between 3-3.5")

2 zebra danios (both about 2")

1 pictus cat (about 4")

7 Roseline Sharks (between 2-4")

2 German rams (both about 1.5-2")

When I got my Roselines the store recommended getting some Dwarf Rainbow fish for dither fish and I'd love to add some. I'm also interested in getting another Clown Loach as I know they prefer to have friends. I know that most of what I have now is not full grown and I'm concerned about overstocking my tank.

Do you think I have room to add some dwarf rainbow fish and potentially a 3rd loach? Thoughts, comments, and opinions would be welcome!

My "two cents". :)
The largest tank I ever had was abut 50 gallons
I now only have a 10 gal tank due to space restrictions.

Having said that..
I have seen many tanks so full of substrate and big rocks etc that it cuts down on the water column.
So that is a consideration.

Also the larger the tank, the more involved and time consuming even small water changes are.

So there are some variables for what what might be considered a bit overcrowded.
IMO, if your water parameters are stable and water changes are manageable, you are OK
Bottom line..... only the aquarium owner can really determine if it is a bit over crowded

Thank you for your two cents!

I have about 2" of aquarium gravel so there's still plenty of water column and swimming space.

I have a python cleaning system so luckily water changes are manageable! I aim for 25% weekly changes but as I'm human it's often closer to biweekly 30% changes. Water parameters are stable and I check them regularly.

Perhaps I'll add my fish in and keep a close eye on water parameters and behavior. I don't want to stress anyone out!

The clown loaches are going to get a little big for a 75 and would appreciate more of them in the front and so might want to consider a smaller loach or maybe cories. And I’d say up the numbers of both the danios and tetras. But no I wouldn’t say your over stocked.

Thanks BigRed! I'm actually considering trading in my danios...they're not my favorite and I don't really want more. I had more tetras, but my pictus cat has decided they make a great snack so unfortunately their numbers are going down. Due to this I'm hesitant to get more. That's part of the reason I'm considering the dwarf rainbows as they're bigger than the tetras full grown.

:)BTW, I have my own feelings about "schooling" fish that many would probably disagree with.

Fish that tend to school do so out of pure instinct . Saying you need a certain amount stems from we like to watch them school.
Having just 3 or 4 they will usually do just fine and their primary instinct is to to eat and avoid predators .... and they will still have a couple of their kind

I just got a school of 5 neon tetras as I like to watch them school. :)
However I already had only three Zebra Danios and they basically hang out together Some of this can be viewed as Danios chasing each other but, it can also be viewed that it just how they school .... rather fast.
The Danios do not bother the Tetras at all , and the Tetras just ignore them

BTW I also recommend some Cory cats . They will scour the bottom for food without disturbing the substrate, are small, are peaceful and get along with other fish, are cute, and are great fun to watch.
Once you have a few you will never have a community tank without them again.
Corys are another schooling fish but just a pair of them do just fine..:)

Thanks BigRed! I'm actually considering trading in my danios...they're not my favorite and I don't really want more. I had more tetras, but my pictus cat has decided they make a great snack so unfortunately their numbers are going down. Due to this I'm hesitant to get more. That's part of the reason I'm considering the dwarf rainbows as they're bigger than the tetras full grown.

Then you may want to avoid smaller cories as well since they’ll be sharing the same territory as the pictus. You’d be fine to add the rainbows IMO, I’ve got more than that in my 40b and do water changes just out of habit anymore as my nitrates rarely rise over 20

Yes.. I was not referring to the pygmy or dwarf corys
I was just suggesting the regular size corys.
BTW, IMO the "Panda" Caoy is the cutest one. :)

I appreciate all the input. Glad to know the rainbows shouldn't overstock things. I'll check into my Loach situation and maybe trade in for some cories. My mom always had Clown loaches in a 55 so I didn't realize my 75 was a little small.

Back
Top Bottom