Trimming plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just planted these about 4 days ago. Should I trim the brown/transparent leaves or let them be?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434398839.648327.jpg

I think I see a rhizome which means anubias and it looks like anubias so cut the while leaf and stem part that comes with it cut it as far down as you can. That helps removes all rot and makes the plant healthier

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I think I see a rhizome which means anubias and it looks like anubias so cut the while leaf and stem part that comes with it cut it as far down as you can. That helps removes all rot and makes the plant healthier

Thanks for the advice I just removed as much as I could
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434404271.972866.jpg

Fairly certain that's a Java Fern.
Mine:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434404496.101002.jpg

It's rotting because it's been planted. Java Fern feeds off the water column and needs to be tied down to a rock or decor so the rhizome and roots can feed. You can see plenty on the bottom of my plant above. :)

Your other plant in the first picture looks like a sword variation. Clip the wilting leaf and give it a root tab underneath for better growth.

Hope this helps :)

Caleb

Also after a few months you can remove whatever you tied it down with because it will attach itself to the surface. I'm getting ready to clip that rubber band on mine soon.

Caleb

Oh I thought he was talking about the plant on the left of the Java fern

Sorry for the misunderstanding I saw the brown rot on the anubias and was like that's what he means didn't pay attention to the Java fern . I just faceplates myself

Which plant specifically one on top or bottom?

That sword needs root tabs, trim dead and decaying leaves and stems. It may be transitioning from emersed growth. Java ferns should be tied to decorations and never planted, same with anubias. Where did all these plants come from? Are you adding any ferts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That sword needs root tabs, trim dead and decaying leaves and stems. It may be transitioning from emersed growth. Java ferns should be tied to decorations and never planted, same with anubias. Where did all these plants come from? Are you adding any ferts?

Yes yes and yes ^^^ to this.

Caleb

Ya I got them from my friend who kept a pond it was fully submerged tho. Very tattered as you see but I did realize I should trim those bad leaves and I was thinking about doing DIY root tabs. I don't have Java fern btw. Some people have told me anubias doesn't do good planted and some have. My anubias has been like that for a month and no leaves have died and ryhzome is perfectly fine. ( I got the anubias from petco 6 months ago. I have flora pride and dose it every 2 weeks

Ya I got them from my friend who kept a pond it was fully submerged tho. Very tattered as you see but I did realize I should trim those bad leaves and I was thinking about doing DIY root tabs. I don't have Java fern btw. Some people have told me anubias doesn't do good planted and some have. My anubias has been like that for a month and no leaves have died and ryhzome is perfectly fine. ( I got the anubias from petco 6 months ago. I have flora pride and dose it every 2 weeks

I'm responding to Harry (original poster).

God dangit lol I saw it in my email so I responded to that and it sounded like my plants.:/

Haha it's all good I was a little confused there for a second as well. Okay so I shall remove the JF from the substrate and tie them to my rocks. Ugh they look so nice planted too. Oh well maybe I'll tie to the driftwood

Haha it's all good I was a little confused there for a second as well. Okay so I shall remove the JF from the substrate and tie them to my rocks. Ugh they look so nice planted too. Oh well maybe I'll tie to the driftwood

Amazon sword looks kinda similar in a way and it's planted. Just give it a root tab once every 1-2 months and watch it grow.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom