Trimming plants - silly question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henry1245

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

This may sound like a stupid question... but...

Whats the best way to trim plants in my tank? two of them are getting quite big now and are getting in the way of the filter slightly... can i simply chop a bit off the top or should i pluck a few leaves off it? (or does it really not matter?)

Thanks
Henry

Depends on the type of plant. If it is a stem plant you can chop off the tops and replant them. It is a rosseta type plant, remove the whole leaf from the base.

Ah, thanks rich!

I have 2 stem plants, do you have any tips for the best way to weight the clippings down until new roots grow? (when i bought them from the shop they come with a weighted plastic pot)

I have found that planting the stem at a bit of an angle will generally keep the stem down. Cut the plant at a leaf node.

I have found that planting the stem at a bit of an angle will generally keep the stem down. Cut the plant at a leaf node.

Sorry, i'm a bit thick when it comes to plants (shocking really seeing as my missus works ina garden centre!) is a leaf node where the stem splits in two before the leaf?

That is where the leaf grows off of the stem. The branches you have are probably growing from a leaf node. Just cut right below where the leaves come off the stem.

Back
Top Bottom