trying to understand lighting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgilityIG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am trying to wrap my mind around the lighting thing - I am NOT good with electricity. I just can't seem to "get it".

I have a 50 gallon tank and I want to start with some easy low light plants. I just bought some java moss, anubias and moneywort. The tank has two 24 inch hoods (I think the actual lights are 18 inches - I'll have to check on that).

As I understand it, I want to have 1 watt per gallon, so I need 50 watts of lighting? I looked at PetSmart tonight (just because I was there - I will buy lights at Home Depot or someplace) and all the 18 inch lights were 15 watts. So this would be 30 watts for my tank. Can you find higher wattage on 18 inch bulbs? Also, do I need 50 watts for each bulb or 50 watts total?

I will need to make sure the light is 6700K, correct?

I really appreciate all the help you guys dish out!!! :D

It would be 50 watts total, not each bulb. and no, you won't be able to find an 18" fluorescent bulb at a higher wattage, i've looked :) if you want more light than that, you will either have to retro fit your hoods to fit CFLs or buy new light strips (incandescent strips will work, then just replace bulbs with spiral CFLs.) as long as the color spectrum is somewhere between 6000k and 7000k you should be good, most 18" fluorescent bulbs that will work will be 6500k (that i have found). you may not need more than the two 15watt bulbs, depending on the shape of your tank and the plants you want to grow.

Is this a 4' tank? The $8 shop light from walmart is good for low light stuff IME. I had one over a 55g tank and even managed some medium light plants (though they didnt thrive, the survived)... The reflectors suck on them, alot of light goes out both sides of the tank, but it would be alot cheaper than upgrading to a big expensive T5HO fixture if low light is all you want. I have 10,000k bulbs in both of my tanks with plants. I've got one 10g tank with just a 15w 18" 10,000k bulb and have low, medium, and medium-high light plants. Its all about finding what works for you. For some reason, plants are just one of those things. You can have the most expensive setup in the world and cant grow a plant worth a penny, while johnny next door has a cheap walmart all in one tank and has some beautiful low light plants growing. At least thats my outlook on them

My 50 gallon tank is a four foot tank. I'm on a misson tomorrow to see what I can find for lighting.

mfdrookie - is the shoplight something you mounted to the tank or is it hung over the tank? do you have a pic?

Shop lights require a little DIY to make them work. You can hang them from chains above your tank or fabricate some legs or brackets to put them on your tank.

Back
Top Bottom