Understanding Fert limitations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tim_s

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been reading Ziggy's post as recommend by another member to understand planted tanks making use of a sump.

At one point Ziggy mentions that he is dosing plants daily where-as I am dosing weekly.

What is the correct method of determining the correct fertilizer levels within a tank without harming fish.

I have 5 different types of plants in my tank,

Echinodorus amazonicus - 50% of the plant is a bright green where the other 50% is producing browning and 1 leaf is complete deteriorated.

Cryptocoryne Balansae - is growing, a new leaf is currently opening but the colour is faded and rests at a green / brown appear. Dulled I would describe it.

Water Sprite - Is growing extremely well and vibrant and without any browning.

Cyperus Plant - Is being peeked at by the Kribensis and the leaves are variable in green intensity and withdrawing when damaged.

Cloest Match I could find is the
Echinodorus osiris - Is green and seeing visible growth.

My question, I am dosing Seachem Flourish Complete solution - should I be doing this at a higher frequency than weekly?

Cyperus plant being Cyperus helferi?

Complete probably isn't your best option for a high light, high co2 setup. I generally recommend using dry ferts and picking a dosing regimen, usually either EI or PPS-Pro. There is an abundance of internet resources available for either.

I.e. what is the danger of dosing daily with fish in the tank?

Nonexistent if done correctly, minimal if done poorly. Of course, any screw up of sufficient magnitude can potential harm fish, but if you have any idea at all what you're doing the risk is minimal.

Cyperus helferi

Correct!

Complete probably isn't your best option for a high light, high co2 setup. I generally recommend using dry ferts and picking a dosing regimen, usually either EI or PPS-Pro. There is an abundance of internet resources available for either.

This is good information.

If I understand correctly! You are suggesting to use dry fertilizers as a based point but supplement on top of this with either the EI regime for nutrient bombardment or PPS-Pro for excess nutrient control.

Correct?

What dry fert would you recommend?

I also have Rams and possibly discus coming at some point, in terms of keeping nitrates down in the form of N03, does this exclude KN03?

What I'm saying is that dry ferts will completely replace other fertilizers for a fraction of the price, and that the method you choose, such as EI or PPS-Pro, will determine how much of what fertilizer your dose per day.

I recommend getting a package of dry fertilizers, usually costing ~$20 but potentially saving your hundreds over Flourish or similar products. As far as recommending a place to buy them, it's somewhat more complicated. You're located outside the US, correct?

What I'm saying is that dry ferts will completely replace other fertilizers for a fraction of the price, and that the method you choose, such as EI or PPS-Pro, will determine how much of what fertilizer your dose per day.

Ok! I understand,

You are saying chose a regime - either EI or PPS-Pro, which will determine what doses and at one time of either dry or liquid ferts but dry will save more money.

I recommend getting a package of dry fertilizers, usually costing ~$20 but potentially saving your hundreds over Flourish or similar products. As far as recommending a place to buy them, it's somewhat more complicated. You're located outside the US, correct?

I live in Canada currently, I am looking for more of a brand - the wholesaler up the road has dry ferts in Seachem but I think Seachem focuses primarily on liquid.

So,

Seems pretty simple.

Amounts:

350-500 litres
1 1/2 tsp KNO3
1/2 tsp KH2PO4
1/2 tsp TNC Trace (CSM+B)

Schedule:

Sunday 50% water change. Add Macros (KNO3, KH2PO4) Monday Add TNC Trace (CSM+B) Tuesday Add Macros (KNO3, KH2PO4) Wednesday Add TNC Trace (CSM+B) Thursday Add Macros (KNO3, KH2PO4) Friday Add TNC Trace (CSM+B) Saturday Rest day

I don't think Seachem makes dry ferts. There are some suppliers online, but not all of them ship KNO3 across the border.

I might get a dossette and just pre-mix the week a head of time and dose in the mornings.

If your worried about nitrate, PPS Pro will keep them lower than EI, but ideally EI shouldn't have a profound impact.

This is probably more on the obvious side but just to have a fluid transition,

Are people taking tank water adding the ferts, mixing it and then returning back into the tank.

Nobody is directly adding the fertilizer to the tank - correct?

I did that. when I add liquid ferts I add them directly into my tank and to the water that flows down from the filter(hob) into the tank. that way it'll disperse all around the tank.

It's divided. Some people strongly advocate dissolving the ferts in with tank water first, then adding the water, thinking that direct exposure to salts might be hazardous to fish. I myself just dump the daily dosage right into the tank without predissolving it. I've seen fish get salts directly dumped on them and several times try to eat entire salt chunks, but never had any injuries in the slightest, so I tend to think that dissolving first for fish health is just a kiddy glove treatment.

My tank is very under stocked in terms of pouring the solution onto the fish themselves - I am not that concerned. The excitement of food always brings the fish right to the surface close to the front pane of glass. I can do anything within the tank without interference.

-- Also I can dose the sump as well!

Just without experience adding dry ferts to the tank, I just wanted to insure all the ground is covered.

Back
Top Bottom