Vanishing Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrwHem

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 5 gallon planted aquarium with a decent amount of vegetation, 1 small "log" and a hollow centerpiece. I recently added 2 cherry shrimp, some other little tiny shrimp i cant remember the name of and about 100 daphnia.
Today I had to retrieve a dead dwarf puffer from my tank and in order to find the body I had to remove the centerpiece and the "log". What is puzzling me is that I cannot seem to find my cherry shrimp. There are not a whole lot of other places to hide so im perplexed.

Puffer ate them
In the filter
Jumped out of the tank
Hiding really good in the plants
Died and decomposed / sucked into filter / eaten by other creatures

well I know the puffer didnt eat them because its been near death all week. I have a solid glass lid on the aquarium and i dont think they could squeeze out (other than the front 2 corners) but I would see the bodies on my desk.
Also, the pump is very weak. I have seem them sitting on the iontake before eating and they had no problem swimming away. I also just saw them yesterday afternoon so I doubt they decompose that fast.

its driving me nuts.

Ill check the filter again. I am hoping they are really good hiders but they have not hidden from me before now. sigh. Now that the puffer is dead im left with these 100 daphnia now.

so i found the little jerks. My tank has a 1 inch back panel section that houses the filter, pump, and heater. They squeezed through the intake and now appear to be stuck. Problem is that area is soo small I can barely maneuver my net. Idk what to do about it. Even if I drain all the water they will just stick to the glass im sure.

so i took a picture of it but my phone dosnt appear to be sending emails atm...sigh.

so that is a picture of where they are hiding. One of them has since willingly come back out. Anyone have any tips are tricks to coax them out? no point in buying shrimp if i never see them.

Back
Top Bottom