"Wabi Kusa" & Planted Ball Growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Anyone ever buy one of these?

Scroll down a bit in the link page to see the ball.

http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/articles/news/wabi-kusa-oasis-james-findley

Thinking of trying a make it your self ball, just wondering if it is all moss or if there is soil in the center.

EDIT, just saw the bulb, it looks like clay. Here you can see it.

http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/articles/journals/wabi-kusa-cube-james-findley

I was thinking of a coffee filter of organic soil wrapped into a ball of sphagnum peat moss.

Anyone with some thoughts?

Obviously it is not a necessity to have a "ball" but I liked the idea of having one big ball shaped one and one more like a half planted bowl, half emersed feature.

Planning to use some of the plants at the fish store in the plastic tubes, finally a really good use for them!

Last edited:
Well read of others attempts at making these, and a couple dissections of them and there seems to be a bit of variation on what is inside.

Grass (maybe rice), rocks in the center for weight, and some clay, but others stopped at the grass part and just covered in moss or plants.

Mold is often a problem, so I think barley grass and Sphagnum might help with that. Also was suggested some Osmocote. I have fert capsules from Stemma, so I might as well use one of those.

Ball set on a bed of gravel, as also complaints of anaerobic (rotting) odor, also maybe helped by barley grass.

I want to make something like this very soon.

Here in Colorado, our humidity, if you can call it that is around 15%, less in the furnace is on, more right now in spring. So I would likely need something tall to help keep in some moisture.

I saw a nice vase a nearby REstore yesterday which could look nice for this style planting, hope it is still there in a couple days when I get back to check.

Late but in the works!

So looks like I didn't get to this very soon but let's blow this thread up with posts.

If you already have one growing then just add the link so everyone can check it out!

Otherwise just keep adding to it to show progress, problems and anything else which would qualify as a planted ball.

wa·bi
ˈwäbē/
noun
(in Japanese art) a quality of austere and serene beauty expressing a mood of spiritual solitude recognized in Zen Buddhist philosophy. Thank you google.

Kusa - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster ...
Kusa - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Merriam‑Webster
Dec 25, 2012 - Definition of KUSA. 1 : a grass (Eragrostis cynosuroides) of India used in Hindu ceremonies —called also darbha. : kans.

Love me some wabi kusas. :)

Here is one I set up last year:

Unfortunately I did not take any more pics beyond this initial set up but it grew very well for me until I eventually neglected it and let it dry out. I have all the materials to start a new one and am looking to begin that project in the next week or two though! In terms of setting up this one I followed the directions laid out by pweifan on TPT: Scott's wabi kusa collection. He was kind enough to set me up with all the materials I needed and it was pretty simple to put together.

Another very entertaining and informative thread to explore is this one: Coincidental Success: Kiran's Do!Aqua 20cm Wabi Kusa Cube. While Kiran ended up fully submersing his tank it really shows you the potential these little balls have. Hope to see many others here on AA try their own wabi kusa too! (y)

That is great, it looks just like one and the growth sounds like it did well too. Can't wait to see the next one!

Also, consider looking in thrift stores, antique stores, Ross, Marshall's, Tuesday Morning, etc. for amazing containers or just useful nice ones. All SOOOO much less costly than the official kind and then you would have more money for the plants!

Last edited:
Just a quick one to get started since I don't have any clay.

This one is using Sphagnum Moss bagged from Mosser Lee. Soaked in treated water and fish tank water after rinsing in the tub faucet

Little stones left over from a different tank/bowl I had on hand

Cotton string (found that before I found my fly-tying variegated fishing line)

Scissors

Glass Container

Plants

Plastic wrap

Bamboo Chop Stick

A few rocks from my landscape no poisonous pesticides on them, jagged broken ones
Process

Wrapped a few stones with little strips of moss kept adding them until covered and round would have wrapped the clay around the stones first if I had it

Wrapped with cotton string and tied the end off with a knot.

Took the brighter green strips of moss and covered the rest of the ball

Snipped little plants with roots and placed considering the height, texture and color. Made holes for them with the chop stick and placed them inside to the middle ball. After all planted - squished the ball together gently.

Placed the pebbles into the bowl with tank water made a slight indent to better seat the ball and placed it in.

60074-albums14298-picture68391.jpg

Added a little more water just above the pebbles and covered.

60074-albums14298-picture68393.jpg

They are under a Daylight bulb from Ace Hardware 6700K wich is in a table lamp.

Ammania Bonsai (AB)
Pogostemon Helferi
Staurogyne Repens
Dwarf Varigated Arrowhead plant root
Alternanthera reineckii Mini (AR)

60074-albums14298-picture68394.jpg

60074-albums14298-picture68392.jpg

Yay! A quick easy new fun project.

Yay... the Wabi Kusa thread!!! Nice little Wabi you got going on there Autumnsky! :)

I also just found interest in the art form that is Wabi Kusa a few months ago with my first attempt at Wabi Kusa.

I didn't want to go out and buy a pre-made Wabi ball, so I basically wrapped a ball of ADA AquaSoil Amazonia in a fine mesh bag and tied it up real well with fishing line. Then I wrapped that with some Peacock Moss and more fishing line. I took some sharp pointed pinsettes and poked holes in it and planted my clippings... and off we go!

Here's some quick specs:

Tank: AquaTop 2g cube
Light: 3w LED (by Archaea)
Photoperiod: 7 hours

Notes: tank is covered most of the time with plastic wrap and I spray water every other day or so... sometimes daily (if I remember).

Here's some pics from week 1 (3rd month pic updates to follow):
15891706542_fedc8b7382_b.jpg

15890362701_4357e8febb_b.jpg

15706321759_1cdda91633_b.jpg

Last edited:
And here are some update pics I took last night (Month 3):
16488313280_f53b4d9be0_h.jpg

16488313230_7ca0a3f823_b.jpg

16488313080_83f30a697f_b.jpg

16488312640_b1b81d7382_h.jpg

Spot the flowers???

16649774836_a2cbb463fb_h.jpg

Here's a cropped close-up :)
16649774466_1dc165af15_b.jpg

Sweet thread! Here's my attempt at a wabi kusa. I used a panty hose sock, the ones you use to try on shoes when you don't have socks, stuffed with soil from a potted plant, a little bit of flourite, and some moss from my daughter's gecko cage. Tied it off with a knot and then wrapped it with java moss. Poked small holes through the hose/moss with some small tweezers and planted s.reopens, a crypt, and some rotala rotundifolia. Had a few more s reopens and ARs in there but they have melted. This bowl is at work and sometimes doesn't get enough love.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1425425065204.jpg
    1425425065204.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 1425425089115.jpg
    1425425089115.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 1425425110418.jpg
    1425425110418.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 108
And here are some update pics I took last night (Month 3):
16488313280_f53b4d9be0_h.jpg

16488313230_7ca0a3f823_b.jpg

16488313080_83f30a697f_b.jpg

16488312640_b1b81d7382_h.jpg

Spot the flowers???

16649774836_a2cbb463fb_h.jpg

Here's a cropped close-up :)
16649774466_1dc165af15_b.jpg

WOW! You are good with the camera AND your Wabi Kusa looks great, and alive for 3 months, nice job!

Sweet thread! Here's my attempt at a wabi kusa. I used a panty hose sock, the ones you use to try on shoes when you don't have socks, stuffed with soil from a potted plant, a little bit of flourite, and some moss from my daughter's gecko cage. Tied it off with a knot and then wrapped it with java moss. Poked small holes through the hose/moss with some small tweezers and planted s.reopens, a crypt, and some rotala rotundifolia. Had a few more s reopens and ARs in there but they have melted. This bowl is at work and sometimes doesn't get enough love.

How long has this one been growing? It is petite. Mine turned into a monsta ball, lol. I like the little wisps of plants you have going there.

I think the soil idea is better for it.

Mine is still alive so far. Pretty much looks the same as before. I am going to add a little fish water with a tiny bit of Flourish in it, mixed into a gallon container, and put the rest of the water back into the tank - just so its well mixed and I don't over dose it.

Brian is pretty sweet with the camera. I've had mine since seeing Brian's build so around the first week of DEC. Like I've said its at work and it's not in the best environment for it. I left the plastic off it one day and just about everything dried up and melted. I just recently took one of my clip desk lights to work that has a 20watt 6500k cfl to help it and added some more stems. It had been under a 4100k light that's attached to my desk. Poor wabi, so hopefully we'll see better grow in the coming weeks. Here a pic of it, first week. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425469239.394045.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

All this talk has motivated me to work a lil harder on my wabi kusa. Are y'all doing regular wc, and dosing any ferts? I added some more clipping this morning to kick start my appreciation for the wabi .

Attachments

• 1425492550813.jpg
    1425492550813.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 79
Like the color Pit. Give it Wabi love!

I would use old pwc tank water for sure...even if nothing else.

Anyone have any thoughts on a snail, maybe start with a pond snail? And a shrimp, but only after it has had time to develop some bb in the stones and get rooted and start taking up the bad stuff.

Who else has done something like this?

Add a pic of your planted creation/ball?

I know this old but here my wabi kusa now. I left it out in the yard after failed attempts in my office. Probably going to end it since starting to get cold.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449096002.378182.jpg

I know this old but here my wabi kusa now. I left it out in the yard after failed attempts in my office. Probably going to end it since starting to get cold.

View attachment 281512

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that's just a cup o'plants there pitty;) pretty cool either way.. WABI KUSA!!! just yell it.. good times!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that's just a cup o'plants there pitty;) pretty cool either way.. WABI KUSA!!! just yell it.. good times!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol. Too funny. Now that you said, I guess it's just a cup o plants. ?

Mine I killed. Then it became a bowl of plants with a nice little assortment of floaters and moss. A little string algae, also due to the good ole sunshine from sitting outside. lol

Back
Top Bottom