Water Sprite turning brown questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ketso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a bunch of water sprite in my tank that seems to be growing, what I think is, normally. It grows very rapidly. But, once it starts to fill out, it starts growing roots everywhere and turning brown. I assume this to be normal. Is there a way to prevent this? Maybe by pruning it a certain way? If anyone else has had success keeping this plant green, how do you do it? I'm about to remove it from my tank completely and find something else to take it's place.

And, before I forget, I dose with GW ferts and all other plants are not showing any signs of difficencies. In fact, my swords are growing like there is no tomorrow!

For me, I have been removing about 50% of it every other week just to keep it under control. I have never experienced what you are describing. What part of the plant turns brown?

Well, as you know, it grows fast. I dont remove too much very often and it develops roots all over. It seems like, once these roots start out, that the plant decides the areas around the roots (mainly the leaves) are no longer needed and they just turn brown. I tried to get a clear pic of it, but my camera wont focus that close.

Maybe I will start trimming it more and see what happens. Maybe it wont try to put out roots so much if I do. It's worth trying I guess. I just removed what seemed like 10lbs of it this afternoon. I kept and replanted about 20 sections that were looking good with good root structure (all about 4-8" tall). In a week or so, it will fill up again.

I'll report back what I find out in a few weeks. thanks A t C.

I have no advice for you, but I sympathize. I have tried keeping this plant on 2 separate occasions and both times it basically disintegrated exactly how you described. The first time I thought it was a potassium deficiency, but I am not convinced of that anymore. I don't think I will try to keep this plant again. Unless you have some sort of breakthrough to report... :D

Back
Top Bottom