Weird colored sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here's a picture of my sand...... What's with it the sand is supposed to be pure white after I started growing a few plants I there it started turning colors. I need help fast.

Attachments

• image-1573290487.jpg
    image-1573290487.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 92
It's probably some kind of algae or diatoms. I used to love white sand until I realized how easily it shows dirt, gunk, poop, etc. Anyway, I use a turkey baster to move the sand around and suck up any algae or detritus that ends up on it. Hovering the siphon above certain problem areas works too but to an extent -- that's why I use a turkey baster too.

Ok I'll try that but like all my sand was covered this pic was after I swished it all around the only reason I have sand is cuz I have a freshwater puffer fish and I feed it snails and also cuz I have live plants

Is your substrate 100% sand? Or is it being used to cap dirt? Are you using root tabs?

Sand is inert and wouldn't provide any nutrients to root feeding plants. From the picture, looks like you have a sword plant.

Back
Top Bottom