What are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrMalta

Aquarium Advice Freak
At my LFS I purchased two plants the other day but they didn't have names on the tanks, what are these?

img_854341_0_6dd7d43fca5c7860b821074c59be7776.jpg

img_854341_1_6cba7ff86747103ee3e44183eacd6ad1.jpg

They're both in a 5 gallon with my beta and 10 watts of light.

The second looks like some type of Myriophyllum or maybe even Limnophila aquaticum (Ambulia). I'm leaning toward Ambulia since I don't see the branching of the leaves that Myrio usually has. Not sure on the first one though.

You'd better hope they're not mutant freak man-eater plants.

Edit: Or worse, fish-eater plants.

You'd better hope they're not mutant freak man-eater plants.

Edit: Or worse, fish-eater plants.

Lol. :p

Just One More: I think you're right about the second one. I did a google search on what you figured it to be and it does look like one of those. Wonder what the other plant is then! Thanks.

I'd be very careful about buying plants that you you aren't familiar with, and even worse are unlabeled. All too many plants sold at LFS are not true aquatics. Just as bad are plants that aren't appropriate to your aquarium (grow too large, require more light, etc.).

The PlantGeek Plant Guide is a great research tool for finding out about plants.

That first is some type of a Hygro since I have had a similar one but I don't remember it well and it had a really woody stem and died out in a day, the second I would also say ambulia.

The first plant may be Spathiphyllum tasson, a marginal plant that does not do well in the long term when kept submersed. It is commonly sold as Brazilian sword but, not being a member of the Echinodorus genus, is not a true sword plant and will likely die if kept submersed.

The second plant is almost certainly Limnophila indica, commonly called Ambulia. It does best under good light with CO2 supplementation, although CO2 is not strictly necessary. It is a very fast grower and is quite beautiful when healthy. It's one of my favorites :)

I just looked back into the back part of my mind and now I think your first plant is Althernanthera rosefolia

Last edited:
Limnophila indica, if this is what it is - probably since everyone agrees really does look nice and is doing very well in my tank.

And like the other, it isn't doing too nice and someone said that they die off quick 'cause it's not true aquatic.

Thanks Guys!

So with the Limnophila indica what do you guys that have it/have had experience with it do when it grows large enough to hit the top of the water like mine is?

Top and replant. It is a very fast grower when it is happy so you should expect to do a lot of this. You can also leave the bottom portion in the substrate and it will sprout new stems in time.

You can trim a plant and replant the top part again - this is referred to as "topping". With most stem plants, like your L. indica, they can be trimmed back. You can remove the entire plant from the tank, cut it off near the bottom to shorten it a bit, and replant in the tank. You'll be cutting the roots away but that's ok. It will quickly grow new roots. You may have to trim like this once a week if it's a fast grower. Like Travis says, you can also leave the bottom portion in the substrate and reach into the water to cut the stem a few inches (or however much you want) above the substrate. You'll have the rooted part still in the substrate - this part will still grow. You can also replant the cut part (the top) and it will grow too. Most people like to replant the top part since it is the prettiest part of the stem. I will get too many plants if I keep the bottom, rooted part, so I top and replant, and throw the root part away.

Back
Top Bottom