What plants? Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laird-and-Dad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everybody! I have a 30 gal tank, and was wondering what to stock it with. As far as plants go, I'm pretty clueless as to what to have. No real Ideas other than to have a carpet plant for the foreground and some taller growing plants for the back. I currently have some marimo moss on some rocks that I have in the tank, and an Anubias nana. Here's a picture:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414374364.012745.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414374376.581236.jpg

As far as the anubias, I've heard not to "bury the rhizome." How then do I anchor it to the substrate? I've heard to tie it to a rock. How would I do that?

I plan to have this be a high light tank with injected CO2. Ultimately I would like to get a pressurized system, and have seen the sticky on that in this section. Meanwhile, I would have to do a DIY system. Can someone point me in the right direction with a helpful article or two?

I have a Glo brand T5 HO light, single tube.

What plants could I get? What would be a good carpet plant, other than the moss that I already have? I was thinking Dwarf Baby Tears. And then for the background I was kind of thinking a mix between some Crypts and some other stuff. I don't know what though. Any ideas would be appreciated.

As for fish, I was thinking about having a pair of GBRs or Apistos. What other fish could I keep with those? I have some zebra danios in my other tank, along with a swordtail that I would like to move into this one. Would either of those be okay with the aforementioned fish? Neither is a must. I've heard you can keep tetras with the Rams. Is this also true of Apistos? Would Black Skirts be okay with either? Also I'm interested in some of the smaller corys. Would these be okay with the Rams/Apistos?

Also, just a side note (sorry I'm a really long poster), I have a piece of driftwood that I am going to be putting in the tank. I was thinking about covering it with some more of that moss. What do you think?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414375587.293111.jpg

Thanks in advance!

-Laird

I think a sword or aponogeton species would look great in the back right corner with some crypts underneath.

Rams, apistos both would work, it's a matter of preference. Apistos are normally kept in trios (1m,2f). Any common tetra species you feel like would work, but research the tetra species first but tetras and Rams/apistos coexist in the same environment.

I'd cover the the drift wood in moss but try and get your hands on flame moss I believe it grows quicker.

I'm not much help on carpet plants or high tech systems so maybe somebody else can jump on and help you out there. I know it'll take abit to balance your ferts and lighting though

You can glue some Java Ferns as well as moss to the wood. Crypts are awesome. Carpets ? Not easy to do for a beginner, but sounds like you've been reading up.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a sword or aponogeton species would look great in the back right corner with some crypts underneath.

Rams, apistos both would work, it's a matter of preference. Apistos are normally kept in trios (1m,2f). Any common tetra species you feel like would work, but research the tetra species first but tetras and Rams/apistos coexist in the same environment.

I'd cover the the drift wood in moss but try and get your hands on flame moss I believe it grows quicker.

I'm not much help on carpet plants or high tech systems so maybe somebody else can jump on and help you out there. I know it'll take abit to balance your ferts and lighting though

Ok. Thank you for your input. I'll look into flame moss for the DW. Also sword and aponogeton, thanks for the suggestion.

You can glue some Java Ferns as well as moss to the wood. Crypts are awesome. Carpets ? Not easy to do for a beginner, but sounds like you've been reading up.

Glue? How would I go about doing that?

Also, although I definitely am a beginner, I am more than willing to take up a challenge, and learn from experience.

Thank you for your advice.

Glue? How would I go about doing that?

Also, although I definitely am a beginner, I am more than willing to take up a challenge, and learn from experience.

Thank you for your advice.

I've never glued but fishing line or cotton thread I've used and just wrapped around the rhizome or base of the plant to the rock or dw.

I went to an Open House / Monster Tank build at a club member's house. One of our members has worked for Aqua Forest an ADA supplier in SF. He was planting like a pro and glueing a lot. It was inspiring.

Gel SuperGlue. Said the water sets it. He made it look easy.

I've used cotton thread to tie mine.

Back
Top Bottom